Thread: Shop bot OFF TRACK!!!

Default Shop bot OFF TRACK!!!

We have prs alpha , we keep having a reacuring problem. I usally run it at about 5 inchs per sec. Lately the y carriage has been knocking itself off the x axis rails. It seems like one motor is running forward and the second isnt running at all or is running slower. the 2 small wheels in the front that carry the y carriage are always off track. We fix them by loosening the motors and it almost fixes itself, so i know that it is under preasure being pushed or forced off track. I need help because i dont know what is causing the problem.

Thx for any advice.
    Keith

Keith...
    Unbolt & remove both x motors. (leave plugged in) Type in an MX command to verify that both motors are rotating.

If both rotate, then reassemble and adjust properly.

IF not, then swap the motors and repeat to see if it is the motor or driver. If the problem is a motor, the dead side will change, if a driver, it will remain the same.

Dont forget to check all motor, wiring and driver connections.
    Gary Campbell
    GCnC Control
    GCnC411(at)gmail(dot)com
    Servo Controller Upgrades
    http://www.youtube.com/user/Islaww1

"We can not solve our problems with the same level of thinking that created them"
    Albert Einstein

In addition to what Gary said, drop both motors and eyeball EACH of the 4 rollers that ride on the X rails as you manually push the gantry back and forth the length of the table and back - for EACH wheel.

Are the v-rollers completely centered on the rails or are they off to one side?

What about the pinion gears on the end of each motor - Look UP and see how well they mesh into the gear rack. Are they rubbing on the table sides? Are they 1/2 way off the rack when they mesh?

-B
    High Definition 3D Laser Scanning Services - Advanced ShopBot CNC Training and Consultation - Vectric Custom Video Training IBILD.com

i'm just adding a guess since the mechanical guru's have already given advice and after doing what they say if you still have problems then this is something i might try.

take both x motors loose and make a mark with a sharpie at the 12 oclock position on the gear and match it on the housing of both steppers.

make it move (?) inches and then look at the position of the mark on the gear in relation to the mark on the housing on both steppers and compare to each other to see if they are both moving the same distance.

again, this is a guess but if that is not it, let me ask since i don't recall, are there seperate settings for each stepper or just seperate axis's?

if they are seperate settings you might look to see if they are the same?

Thx guys!! we did what all of u suggested, both motors are running. reguardless of where we connect them , so next we clamped them down to the table , marked one of the teeth on the gear at 12 oclock. I ran a whole sign program , pocket, pocket clear and texture. after the clear out pocket i can see that one of the motors is coming back to rest more toward 1 oclock. So it seems that that motor is running slower than the other???? is there a fix other than replacement?

Thx again Guys!!

Keith...
    Swap motors and rerun your sign program to see if you can isolate if its a motor or driver.

If its not a loose wire, you will need to replace something
    Gary Campbell
    GCnC Control
    GCnC411(at)gmail(dot)com
    Servo Controller Upgrades
    http://www.youtube.com/user/Islaww1

"We can not solve our problems with the same level of thinking that created them"
    Albert Einstein

Ok we swapped motors , and it is only happening on one motor. so now my next question is is there a fix , and if not where can i go to buy a new motor? i looked on shopbots product page but i cant find just motors?

Call Shopbot for the fastest response or email them and they will get back to you in a day probably... They can surely help you to get this corrected.

MGM

Thanks For all the help guys!!