Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Custom listing

Craigslist in my area seems to more or less what happens when white trash get computers. Then again I have used it to sell two machines, and to purchase another.
    Michael Schwartz - Waitsfield VT
    Shopbot prs standard 48x96. Aspire. SB Link.

Micheal I hear you on the white trash part .That's how I feel about the yellow pages

Custom dot com I never heard of it I think its not good for my area.I know concrete network is good

Thanks for feed back

I.am lucky i have a good location fair amount of walk in traffic .But I would like to have more internet traffic

Before you spend money or put yourself on another internet marketing list or scheme...you should honestly ask yourself, "Who is my customer?" Aside from a very few discreet examples, I simply refuse to deal with the general public. B2B is king and no advertising generates more qualified leads than word of mouth referrals.

CL, Ebay et al generate zero qualified leads. If you make knick-knacks or are part time in your garage, you may be able to sell a few jobs. It is not a viable option for a pro.

The most successful marketing I have found so far is machining a small novelty item with your information on it that demonstrates what you can do. MAIL it to recipients on your researched market. Plain & simple, human nature shows us that people like stuff...separate yourself and your marketing message from the rest of the junk mail. Besides, if your marketing plan cost you next to nothing (like free options on the net), then you can expect next to nothing to nothing in return. There is no free lunch.

-B
    High Definition 3D Laser Scanning Services - Advanced ShopBot CNC Training and Consultation - Vectric Custom Video Training IBILD.com

Craigslist in my area seems to more or less what happens when white trash get computers

OUCH! lol

maybe the operative words are "in my area". For some things i think you are right, i do get some "less then desirable" applicants for my rental properties when i advertise on CL and i agree that the guy who wants a 50K renovation isn't checking CL but one ad for a barter i used lead to a house sign that lead to a expensive 4 poster bed and other projects in the future. So you never know.....

I have used CL to sell two machines and in both cases I got about 5 leads within an hour. The first 1-2 people I contacted turned out to be buyers. Then again I did read inbetween the lines to sort out the tire kickers. (the replies that asked too many dumb questions, or asked me stuff I addressed in the listing)

Buying equipment via CL is harder. I managed to find an old green and white powermatic 30 belt disc sander for $200.00. I sent the guy an email and offered to buy it sight unseen and that I would show up ASAP with a truck and ramp. After the deal he mentioned he had about 20 responses and that he contacted me first because I was the only one who offered to buy it. Of course I spent about $400.00 having it rebuilt so the price was appropriate for the condition it was in but it turned out to be a nice machine.

Craigslist is weird in a sense because it is rather legitimate to one extreme, but also quite sleazy to the other. I don't advertise there for that reason. Glad to hear it has worked out for you though.
    Michael Schwartz - Waitsfield VT
    Shopbot prs standard 48x96. Aspire. SB Link.

I've been with CustomMade for about a year-So far no real leads.
    They started a job board where you can bid on jobs-along with 20 others
    So far a big waste of $$$$.
    The One job I almost got was with a guy 50 min away
    He had some many cats I had to hold my breath long enough to leave!
    It was so dirty I had to talk two showers to get the smell off me!
    Not their fault but .....only Real job I got from them
    anyone interested!

CustomMade told me it was basically my fault I didn't get any jobs!
    After 20+ years I think I know something about getting work!

Now they have a basic fee and want 10% of any job through the job board

10% of 0= 0 + annual fee = -199.00
    Looks like lose lose to me

Follow Brady's advice!It has been working for me!

Erminio
    http://www.WoodworkingByErminio.com

Custom Cabinetry, Furniture ,CNC Services
    Email:Wberminio@msn.com
    914-666-8746 Shop/Office

Gene and Brady I know your right

Stay out of the trailer park