Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: New Indexer

WidgetWorks Unlimited LLC., Chappaqua New York

Anyone willing to confirm/deny Gerald's comments on the ability to move 4 axis at the same time?

At the moment, my indexer is still a box of parts waiting to be assembled, so I don't have first hand experience myself.

At the annual Shopbot gathering in Texas last fall, Scott Cox gave a talk on designing parts for the indexer/wrapping parts onto a 4th axis. As I recall, his samples may have used all 4 axis at the same time.

Also, there is are M4 and M5 commands shown in the Command Reference Guide:

M4 - Move 4 Dimensions
    {x-location/distance, y-location/distance, z-location/distance, a-location/distance}
    Makes an X, Y, Z, and A axis move to the designated location or a specified distance (if in Relative Mode) at current Move or cutting speed. These 3-D interpolated moves are made on a diagonal from the current location to the end location indicated in the location/distance values, which may be absolute or relative depending on the Move Mode setting. If a value is not entered for one of the parameters, the value defaults to the current location assuming a comma is used as a spacer to designate the correct parameter field.

rnels Guest

I have ShopBot's indexer. I use M5 commands. With the indexer being the B or 5th element in the M5 string.

Example 1: (very simplified)

If your indexer is oriented along the X axis you would have the Y values for the whole ShopBot part file at 0 as you want to maintain a straight line down Y to stay in the middle of the blank. You would then be able to use the other 3 axis for additional positioning - X along the length of the blank, Z for positioning the depth of cut, and B for positioning the desired rotation. A is always 0 for me as I only use B.

Using a pre-rounded blank:

'M5,X,Y,Z,A,B

VD,,5 'Set display to 5 axis
    VS,,,,720 'Set indexer speed - play with to see what works best.

J5,2,0,1,0,0 'Position at 2 inches in X and safez of 1 inch above blank at zero rotation.

'Demo purposes only assuming Z zeroed to top of
    'blank - ShopBot uses center of blank
    'so there would only be positive Z numbers.

M5,2,0,-.1,0,0 'Same X position move -.1 in Z (depth) at 0 rotation.

M5,2,0,-.1,0,360 'Same X position and Z depth rotate 360 degrees leaving a .1 inch ring around the whole blank. Very simplified you would probably want to rotate more times around to get a cleaner ring.

MZ,1 'raise Z to safez
    MB,0 'reset for next command or ZB if you are using 360 degree increments.

Example 2:

You want to carve a whole relief on one side of a square blank then rotate to the next and do the same.

Zero on your blank as if you were carving without the indexer. I use X 0, Y 0 lower left hand corner of my model. If your model was 2 inches high by 6 inches long you would need a blank that was 2 inches square by maybe 8 inches long to allow a little extra on the headstock and tailstock ends (extra length is optional). So I would zero the X about 1 inch from the headstock end and Y at the edge of the blank.

'M5,X,Y,Z,A,B

VD,,5 'Set display to 5 axis
    VS,,,,720 'Set indexer speed

M5,X,Y,Z,0,0 'All of your SBP code for your relief at 0 rotation.

etc.,0,0
    etc.,0,0

When done with side 1 make sure your safeZ is higher than the edges as they rotate around to side 2.

MZ,2 'hypothetical just make sure high enough.

MB,90 'rotate 90 degrees to side 2.
    J2,0,0 'reposition to your XY zero.

M5,X,Y,Z,0,90 'All of your SBP code for your relief at 90 rotation. Indexer will stay at side 2 or 90 degrees and not move allowing your relief to carve on this side as long as all M5 etc. commands have 90 in the B position.

etc.,0,90
    etc.,0,90

Simplified - The software that wraps the file (model) for the indexer would convert the Y distances (for indexers in the X orientation) to B rotational values so the indexer would rotate to the specific Y value in degrees (distance?) around the blank.

, Friday Harbor, San Juan Islands Washington

I certainly don't want to be rude but does anyone have first hand knowledge about the 12" indexer like I had originally asked???

Daryl,

I have one of the 12" 25/1 planetary setups. I'm VERY happy with the way the hardware has performed. It's a robust piece and when you have your tracks aligned right, it is dead-on accurate, every time. I have a 16" dia. x 10ft range for my indexer and have turned a log that was at least 100 pounds (seemed like it). You just don't want to spin it too fast.

I milled my own full length aluminum t-rack for the indexer, btw.

From the get-go, the software has been the limiting factor for the indexer, but that's changing. There really are MANY ways to program files for it, some easier than others.

, Friday Harbor, San Juan Islands Washington

Scott, thanks for the reply. You are the first one that I know that has the 12" indexer. Why did you buy it over the 6"? It is quite a bit of difference in price. You must have the 12" axis also since you can do 16's". I also have the 12"axis. Would you buy it again and do you do many large turnings?

My thought was that bigger is better and I have no regrets. I've cut some rather large pieces and still wish I had more range.

I custom built a 5'x10' steel table with a 16" wide "trough" along one side parallel to the x axis. I centered the indexer at about the table surface, so I have about 8" of Z travel, hence 16" diameter.

My table is based on the same plans as Scotts however my indexer is mounted below the surface level of the table and my Z will extend below my 0 center of the indexer and i don't seem to have a problem.

Scott...the bottom of the trough is about 12" deep so you would have had to elevate your aluminum track above that bottom, how did you do that?

My trough is 10" deep from steel to steel. I have shims and the t-track in it equaling about 2". From the top of the t-track to the 25/1 indexer center is "almost" 10". And I have about 2 inches of table surface shims and material.

I wish I had more Z travel. I've had to relocate my spindle up and down the z-plate to use longer or shorter bits. I often machine flat stuff down in the trough, using the t-track as a hold-down for jigs. I also machine really thick stuff up on the table, calling for shorter bits.

The versitility of thing still astounds me.