Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Remote SB access using "Teamviewer"

Default Remote SB access using "Teamviewer"

My geek grandson tells me that I can view my SB Controller computer screen from an iPhone or iPad, using an application for the iPhone/iPad called "Teamviewer".

The software needs to also be installed in my PC that controls the SB.

He is going to help me install on Thanksgiving weekend.

I will let you botters know how it work out.

I did a search on this forum, but found nothing.

George

I use Team Viewer for the PC in order to diagnose and repair computers at times as well as share my screen to "tutor" people in different things. Biggest issue is the latency or lag you're going to experience. I diagnosed and adjusted some settings in Mach3 for a friend of mine and ran some files from my computer to his home made cnc using the software. I would not suggest jogging the machine in the z whatsoever using the software.

Good Luck
    Randy

Randy,

Thanks for the heads up. Right now, my only purpose to try this Software is to be able to view the progress of the cutting file from a remote location in the house/shop with my iPhone. This would be handy on long jobs that do not need tending after starting the job. I would like to know if the job is still progressing or aborted due to the famous "Com Lost" message.

I can certainly hear the machine running, but don't know whether the X, Y, or Z are still moving unless I go look at the machine or the computer screen.

George

I use vnc viewer works great and is free

George,

Just keep in mind the program may increase your com errors. If by chance you have a webcam and another pc. You can always view the other computer's webcam watching the machine. Would be an alternative to running team viewer on the control computer. Com issues aside if it works great. Just wanted to make sure you watched out for issues.

Jerry,
    VNC Viewer is just a slightly different version of teamviewer. They're both from the same company.

Regards
    Randy

Quote Originally Posted by CNYDWW View Post
    George,

Just keep in mind the program may increase your com errors. If by chance you have a webcam and another pc. You can always view the other computer's webcam watching the machine. Would be an alternative to running team viewer on the control computer. Com issues aside if it works great. Just wanted to make sure you watched out for issues...
    Well, I did an air cut on a long file using "TEAMVIEWER", here is what I found out so far:
    1. The lower right hand side of the screen is covered up with a small Teamviewer window which blocks the STOP button on the SB position screen and can't be moved.
    2. I was able to press the letter "S" to stop the program and then resume by pressing the letter "R", but it would not let me do it again a second time, nor could pressing the letter "S" directly on the SB computer work. The mouse was free to move and I could move to the menu and stop the machine.
    3. I did not experience any "COM" errors.
    4. I will try running a real job in the near future and see what happens.

The idea of a wireless webcam may be the best option, then I would not have to tempt the SB program to abort for any reason.

George

try logmein.com you can do it for free. though if you want to use your iphone or ipad you have to buy the 30.00 app. but you can access it with any computer for free. the little window that pops up can be closed or eliminated.

I use a wireless IP camera (http://www.storageoptions.com/produc...door/ip-camera) so I can work on paperwork and designs in the office while the 'bot cuts away in the shop. I can hear and see it on a large screen that is right beside me.

Personally I would never leave a CNC running without being able to see it for more than a minute. I can get from the office to the shop in about ten seconds. Don't ask how I know that.....

Most of the time I don't bother remoting into the control computer but if I do I use the built in Windows remote desktop. Does the job.

on longterm cutting files i have a wireless camera setup in the shop with a monitor in the house and just keep an eye on the "back and forth" of the carriage while watching football.

it is a seperate system from the computer, it doesn't have any chance of interfering with the SB program and i think is a better way to keep track of whats going on with your cutting.

The only thing that might be nice is a wireless Emergency Stop in case you see something going wrong.

However i usually stay with a file long enough to see it does not go "out of bounds" when starting a file and usually can tell when its almost done and am there for the finish.
    That i think is a better solution. You could get a multicamera wireless security system and hook one camera up to watch the machine and one to watch the computer screen if you need to see that also.

Thanks to everyone for the good suggestions.

I will probably migrate to a wireless webcam solution in the near future.

On long files, when I have enough faith in the job and machine I usually wander off to do other things as someone else mentioned.

So far after more than two years with the SB I have not had any incidents that caused me to regret not sticking with the job.

As a retired Machinist/Mfg Engineer I still have all 10 fingers and have not had any disasters caused by leaving the machine ( except for that one time.....xxx)

George

Post mortem:

After all the above bragging, I went back to machine after about 90 minutes of absence and discovered the job stooped due to lost "COM" problems.
    I will finish the job with the lousy Dust collector turned off, which is usualy the cause of most of my "COM" problems and also "Sun Spots" and "Solar Flares"
    Last edited by ironsides; 11-17-2011 at 09:07 PM. Reason: New event