Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: cyclone dust collection systems

Default cyclone dust collection systems

I am looking to get a new cyclone dust collection systems for the shop. I was hoping to get some feedback on what people have found to be a good cyclone dust collector, brand, size, were you happy with it, would you go larger. The most I would be running off of it at any one time would be the ShopBot PRT 48 by 96 and a Delta Unisaw.

Thanks for any feedback.
    Ron Moorehead
    R&S Design
    ShopBot PRS Aphla 48 by 96
    Laserpro Explorer 30 watt
    Universal Laser 50 watt
    3D printer

I have the 3.5hp tempest cyclone and I have been very pleased with it. I can generally leave 2-3 gates open without any problems.
    Michael Schwartz - Waitsfield VT
    Shopbot prs standard 48x96. Aspire. SB Link.

i don't know if this is something you want to buy or construct yourself but you might take a look at some youtube videos for tips. I have seen some made fairly reasonably and easily.

even if you don't buy one here.. http://www.clearvuecyclones.com/ its got lots of info ...

Default Mini gorilla

I have an Oneida Mini Gorilla and run it on my table saw chop saw and PRS Alpha 48/96 and am very happy with it. I have blast gates at each machine too. But you could easily run a couple open without any issue.
    Best of luck!
    Brock
    Happiness is only one thought away.

Ron,

A cyclone is absolutely the way to go for dust collection. If you want to read more about them that you ever wanted to know, try this website. http://billpentz.com/woodworking/cyclone/index.cfm

I bought a "Woodsucker" built from Bill's design but the guy shut his business down several years ago. I don't know enough about the other brands to recommend one over another.

The "Thien seperator" (http://www.cgallery.com/jpthien/cy.htm) is also a good design for enhancing a bag collection system for perhaps a lower cost. But it will not get the very fine particulates out that a cyclone will.

I have a 3 horse Grizzly that seems like overkill unless I have all machines running at once, but the larger the cyclone the more efficient it is. I rarely have to empty the dust bag.

Bill Pentz does have some useful information on his site but I strongly disagree with some of his opinions about products that compete with systems based on his design. I will leave it at that.
    Michael Schwartz - Waitsfield VT
    Shopbot prs standard 48x96. Aspire. SB Link.

We have a 2.5 HP high efficiency Oneida Dust Gorilla. We're happy with the build quality. It has a Baldor rather than a "junk" motor and it was priced competitively. We're sometimes running a large Felder planer/jointer and occasionally, a 50" double drum sander at the same time as the Shopbot and it does just fine. The key to optimal suction and flow from these things is actually very dependent on decent, properly sealed piping and gates so you don't lose much to leakage at all the seams and joints. Also, to not undersize or, for that matter, oversize your piping or have bottlenecks. Note that the piping, gates and associated installation add quite a bit to the cost. If we had to do it again, I'd be very tempted to go with one or even two of their large roll-around portable cyclone units and believe they would handle things well.

The thing to know is that all of these cyclone systems are LOUD even when anchored using isolation mounts/feet.

Ron:

I also have an Oneida cyclone. When I was researching what I needed, the folks at Oneida were very helpful, in fact when I told them it was for a CNC situation, they changed something (inlet size I think) to increase the velocity to carry chips away faster. My research at that time showed that their filtration was better in the micron range where the most lung damage occurs and that any bag system I looked at was very poor where it needed to be the best. After 5 years my only complaint is my own fault... I had it made where it would fit under my 8' garage ceiling. that limited it to a 35 gal. drum. Boy that fills fast!

Steve