Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: carve speeds

Default carve speeds

Hey all.. just a quick question. I have a PRT standard with a porter cable router. I am doing some carving in 3/4" ply only between .15 - .20" in depth. I am using a 90 degree v bit. I am carving at about 3 ips. Does anyone think that I could carve faster? I can cut this at .37" with a 1/4" bit at the same speed, so I'm figuring i could carve faster, just haven't tried. Any words of wisdom? Thanks

one thing i'd say is carving in plywood is a waste of time unless you are just practicing. The splintering between plys while carving different depths is never going to get you a good quality carving.

I could be wrong but my forays into using plywood to carve never produced anything that was usable. Get yourself some solid stock and i think you will get way better results, even try foam.

Hi Jack,

only partially agree. Some situations will work with ply. Hope I can attach a photo, not a good one but you can get the idea.

Cheers,
    Roger.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks for the input.. I am already carving in the plywood,, Have been doing so for about 2 years. I am just curious whether I can go faster than 3ips.

I think it largely depends on your machine and the size/detail of the carving. Do you have a 3g or 4g control board, and what is your communication speed? Also how you set your ramping will affect how fast you can go.

I'd just suggest trying it and see if you lose steps, only way you'll know for sure. Try it as an air cut first to save materials.
    Ken Zey
    Lookout Mercantile / Digital Millwork
    Rogers, AR
    www.CedarSlabSigns.com
    www.lookoutmercantile.com
    www.digitalmillwork.com

6x12 PRS alpha

thanks. I have a 4g control board. at about 78% communication. Mostly carving words.. Most are not that detailed. about 2.5-3"

If you are doing carvings that are only 2 or 3" in size - You would have to defy the laws of physics to go 3 IPS. Not to sound trite...but it ain't happening.

I've learned that the machine can only go as fast as the file and material will let it go. However, thoughtful adjustment of your VR commands can increase cutting speeds while maintaining smooth movement of the tool. In some cases slowing down the move speed will in fact reduce ramping, and in turn actually make the tool run faster and more smoothly.

-B
    High Definition 3D Laser Scanning Services - Advanced ShopBot CNC Training and Consultation - Vectric Custom Video Training IBILD.com

Jeff,
    Carving words that size, changing your move speed isn't going to make much if any difference. Due to sharp corners, direction changes etc, the tool probably never reaches the set speed. I'd play with your ramp settings and see what difference that makes. I do most of my vcarving at ms 1.5,1.5 on my prs and setting my move speed higher doesn't make the job take any less time just due to the nature of the machine movement when doing vcarving.

--- Brady was faster! ---
    Last edited by zeykr; 11-29-2011 at 08:13 AM. Reason: Brady types quicker!
    Ken Zey
    Lookout Mercantile / Digital Millwork
    Rogers, AR
    www.CedarSlabSigns.com
    www.lookoutmercantile.com
    www.digitalmillwork.com

6x12 PRS alpha

I do quite a bit of v carving in ply when i build my model buildings. Like all things on a bot the better the ply the better the result. The big box ply makes lousy carving as it is all over the place thickness wise. I will also add that all of my 'stuff' gets painted so I don't get the terrific results like that killer dragon. Russ

My analogy has always been that its like have a 60 mph speed limit in an area that has stop signs every 200 feet. You'll never get up to full speed before you have to slow down for the next stop sign

This especially holds true for 3d carving with ups and downs