Thread: Converter software

Default Converter software

I've had an inverter on my prt alpha quite a while now, but I've never done more than use the wizards. I've tried using the inverter post in Part Wizard, but could never get it to work on my Y-axis indexer. I asked a friend of mine to write a program that would change the X axis coordinates to B axis degress. Well he did and so far it works pretty well. All I need to do is take my .sbp file from V Carve or Part Wizard or any other software with a Shopbot post processor, enter it into the program , follow directions and the software converts it for my indexer. I've cut a couple files and it seems to work great. I've converted some 3-D files from Mill Wizard and ran them in preview mode and all seems well. Give it a try and please post your results. It's set up for X or Y axis.http://www.spauldingbryant.com/sbconvert/

jim this looks interesting. I d/l the converter took a 4"wide X 12"long stl into millwizard, made my rough and finish passes, took those sbp files into the converter and in there you have a dialog box for "diameter" and i wondered if I wanted to take that 4x12 file i have and wanted to make it 3" diameter I can input that there or is that there to coincide with the width of the file? (not sure i asked that correctly).

Hi Jack, The circumference of your blank should equal the X dimension of your part if your indexer is mounted parallel to the Y axis, or equal to the Y dimension if it's mounted parallel to the X axis. The program uses the diameter of your blank to calculate the circumference and represent your part accurately. As an example: My indexer is mounted at the foot of my table so it's parallel to the Y axis and I want to cut a file which has a 12" X dimension that I want to wrap completely around my blank on the indexer. I first turn a blank with the final circumference of 12", then I convert the part file using John's program and I input the diameter of 3.82" which is 12" / 3.14.

Thanks for posting this Jim. I D/l a copy to look at later when I get into indexing.

I was headed out to the shop to try a piece i converted when i read this and and scratched my head and said "HUH"?

"I first turn a blank with the final circumference of 12", then I convert the part file using John's program and I input the diameter of 3.82" which is 12" / 3.14."

My indexer is mounted in the X axis.
    Now I had a stl file that i loaded into millwizard with a deminsion of 4w(Y)x12L(X)

Where i'm a bit confused is in the "diameter" dialog box I input 4 but as i'm thinking about it that seems to be wrong.

It should be a "circumference" dialog box so you would know the circumference would equal the width of the part OR i should figure out what DIAMETER equals the CIRCUMFERENCE of my part and input THAT DEMINSION into the DIAMETER dialog box right?
    For example if my part is 4"w in the Y and 12" L in the X so to get my diameter of stock I need to take the 4" and divide by 3.14?

If so, I input into my calculator 4.00 divided by 3.14 and get 1.27. If that is right than THAT is the number I need to input into the DIAMETER dialog box and not 4.00 correct?

So then I need to turn my stock down to 1.27" and it should work out?
    Sometimes i need to think outload and then have someone verify that i understand what they just described so if this is correct would you give me a passing grade on my math homework? thanks Jim.

I think you've got it. I agree that a circumference box my be clearer than a diameter. John's program uses diameter to do the conversion, so it seemed natural to ask for that number instead of circumference. Also, my mindset was in "Indexer Wizard" mode which asks for diameter.

I am going to redo the toolpaths and head out to the shop and hopefully have something to show tonite. Thanks for the verification.