Thread: Christmas Holly Wreath Project

Default Christmas Holly Wreath Project

Hello,

Here is the November 2011 project I created for Aspire 3.5 owners. It is a FREE download, courtesy of Vectric!

http://www.vectric.com/WebSite/Vectr...as-wreath.html

The Christmas Holly Wreath project will be a pleasant addition to your holiday decor, hanging on the front door or prominently displayed in an entry foyer to welcome friends and family to your home!

There are two versions included for the wreath project...one with a pocket recess for the carved Bow, and a “plain” wreath without the Bow pocket, in case you want to embellish your own wreath with real ribbons/bows and so on.

The finished wreath ring is about 17" in diameter. The project sample was carved on standard 3/4" thick stock, but you can use thicker stock, if desired. If you do use thicker stock, be sure to enter your new project thickness dimensions and calculate fresh toolpaths in Aspire 3.5 as required.

• I created the design/layout using Vectric's Aspire 3.5 software. The project is compatible with Aspire 3.5 (or newer versions)

• I used a ShopBot PRSAlpha BT48 to run this project and the toolpath settings were specifically for that machine and bits I used. You can make changes to suit your particular machine, bits, etc.

I used the following bits...
    Roughing: 1/4" EM
    Finishing: 1/8" BN
    Cuts/Pockets: 1/4" EM

Apply your choice of finish. Here’s what I used on my Holly Wreath sample made from Select Pine and Spanish Cedar:

• Two coats of thinned Zinnser Bulls Eye Seal Coat (50% denatured alcohol and 50% Seal Coat), sanding after each coat
    • Two coats full-strength Bulls Eye Seal Coat (Seal Coat is actually clear, de-waxed shellac)
    • Acrylic craft paint on the Wreath - Burnt Sienna in select recesses and Cardinal Red on the holly berries
    • Minwax Red Oak stain #215 as a glaze on the wreath - wiped and dry-brushed most of the stain off
    • 4 coats of Krylon Crystal Clear Acrylic gloss spray on wreath and bow

Special thanks to ShopBot and Vectric for making this project possible!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default 2012 Mayan calendar

If you need a new Mayan calendar for 2012, you can find it here.

Not sure if this is the new one or the one where the world ends in 2012...

http://www.vectric.com/forum/viewtop...alendar#p86889
    The decimal point seems to be the most important on the z axis... x & y not so much....
    ShopBot... Where even the scraps and things you mess up and throw away are cool....

Quote Originally Posted by curtiss View Post
    If you need a new Mayan calendar for 2012, you can find it here.

Not sure if this is the new one or the one where the world ends in 2012...
    I'm not sure either...I can't read Mayan

That one started out years ago on the Artcam site as a v-carve project. It comes out quite cool (I cut one on MDF a while back for the heck of it) except I found the sun god in the center went a bit deepin comparison to the rest. In my spare time I redid it as a relief project and it was also a lot of fun between deciding what was high and what was low and tweaking vectors for proper spacing. For a fairly large size of around 42 inches it still came out as a project for an 1/8" ball nose. I'd hate to see how long that would really take to cut.

Michael,

I can hardly wait to start this project. It looks a lot like your CarveWright project from a few years ago.

I always look forward to your contributions.

George

Quote Originally Posted by ironsides View Post
    Michael,

I can hardly wait to start this project. It looks a lot like your CarveWright project from a few years ago.

I always look forward to your contributions.

George
    Hi George,

Thank you - I hope you enjoy the project!

Yes, I made a Christmas wreath for CarveWright 4 or 5 years ago and figured it was time to make one for Vectric/ShopBot.

For the CarveWright wreath, it was a bit more involved...I sectioned it into 5 components in order to get the 17" diameter yield. The CW machines can carve stock up to 12 feet long (!), but are limited to a maximum 14.5" width. For "bigger/wider" stuff, I have to tile or section components and glue them together after carving. Here's a couple pics of my CW wreath project...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by mtylerfl; 12-04-2011 at 07:30 PM.