Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: somewhat new to aspire

Default somewhat new to aspire

although these turned out fairly good i still have an issue. in the ribbon above police is where it is most noticeable. there is a wavering in the ribbon. the eagle was bought from vector 3d and the badge was built in aspire

i have tried the following:
    went from 60 to 90 degree vbit, result more visible in preview
    lied to tool data base saying bit was bigger and smaller, no result

i finally decided to just try and sand out the wavering.

in watching the shopbot cut the ribbon, it cut perfectly, it was when the cutting was done around the letters that the bit crossed over the ribbon vector.

i have considered but not tried node editing on the ribbon to try and counter the wavering.

any suggestions are certainly appreciated.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Very nice work on the badge.
    How did you create the vector for the Ribbon? Also I'm not clear on what you mean by wavering. Are you not getting a clean cut?

Default ribbon

i use to do a similar plaque in 2d. the vectors for that badge were created by the vector Dr. i have cut it many times in 2d with no problem. i used these same vectors for 3d

now lets see if i can explain this correctly. in 3d the ribbon appears to cut smooth along the upper part of it. i purposely actually stood there and watched it cut. as the vbit cuts around the lettering it travels just a little to far upward crossing over what would be the vector line of the ribbon, creating a wavering mark in the ribbon. this mark actually shows up in the preview for a 60 degree and even worse for a 90. i am anal and don't want these marks but they are barely noticeable, even less so once sanded and finished.

i contacted aspire and they suggested the 90, saying that it was not as bad. although i have not cut it with a 90, in the preview it is even worse with the 90.

i have cut this 3 times now with the same results and not sure if a little node editing of the ribbon would help or hurt.

I'd like to see the chest those badges would be pinned on...

the finishing is really nice

Default i dont think that you would want to

the ash is 19 inches with the alder a couple shorter. those would be some big boys to make those fit properly

finishing is my weakest spot. i am getting better but there is still lots of room for improvement

Rick

I'm not an Aspire user, But... when V-carving I found it's very important to Z zero to the top of the material and not the bed, or else any variance in actual and design thickness will result in what I think you're experiencing.

Steve

Default Z zero

I always zero on top of the surface of the material to be cut so that was not the issue. In aspire you can actually command various cuts to follow the flow of a 3d model, in 2d this was never an issue. I have cut it in 2d at least 20 times. The way the badge is shaped is: There is a convex or dome curve to it that is pretty consistent. However in the lower section there is somewhat of a dip on the right and left hand sides. Which pretty much follows the shape of a real badge. At the top the shape tapers off to the eagles feet.

I am still very open for suggestions. Maybe the next time that i cut i might take a video of it and post that.

Hi Rick,

A little hard to tell from the photos, but I think I see the "wavering" you are talking about (if I squint)...it appears the V-bit went slightly "outside of the line" of the ribbon when carving the lettering in a couple areas. Is that what you are referring to?

I believe we will need access to the vectors themselves to see if there is any "fault" with them. Also, it would be handy to have the crv3d file and view your toolpath settings/offsets/depths to see if there is any issue there or not. You may not be able to make the crv3d file available if it contains any commercial models on them, of course. It could be that as the V-bit follows the contour of the shape, it is "hitting" the outline simply due to the geometry of the bit.

In any case, you did a beautiful job on the badges!

Default Visibility

its most visible above and between the "L and the I". i tried posting the aspire file on their forum and it was too big to post. i have taken everything out of it in an effort to post it on here but i think that is still too big.

but you have the right idea about how the v-bit is going over the outline of the ribbon while cutting out the letters.

I have tried to recreate what you are seeing and so far I can't. I do have one thought though, what font are you using and have you tried a different font for the word 'police'. If you follow the side contours of each letter in the word police vertically they match almost perfectly with the 'waves' you are seeing in the border. I wonder if the 'font' vectors you are using might be causing your problem. Anyhow, a short answer try a different font and see if you get the same kinds of results. Russ