Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: somewhat new to aspire

Default Good idea

that one i have not tried yet but will and will let you know the results.

Default rats

changing the font did not help, its still there. i am inclinded to believe that with the badge changing shapes/curvature is what is causing it. i can either accept this minor flaw or go to regular v carving.

Another thought...reduce the size of the font and/or enlarge the ribbon to yield extra clearance between the letters and the ribbon vector so the bit doesn't stray into the outline as it follows the contour of the badge.

How about limiting the depth of cut in that area with the V bit. Maybe use a small end mill to clear the field, and finish with the V bit. I think a shallower relief would still be attractive. joe

Default fonts

you guys have got me to thinking.

fyi when i remove police from the ribbon and do a v varve it comes out as a perfect deep cut ribbon.

making the font smaller or ribbon bigger did not help, but as you know the preview image is not as sharp as my aging eyes.

doing a pocket cut produced a perfect ribbon but even still i think that i might like v-carving better even with the minor flaw.

i need to play with the v-carving and set depth i will let you know.

Quote Originally Posted by mtylerfl View Post
    Hi Rick,

It could be that as the V-bit follows the contour of the shape, it is "hitting" the outline simply due to the geometry of the bit.

!
    Bingo. That particular section is simply deeper than the surrounding, resulting in the bit taking a bit of the edge off. Try a flat machine bottom - limiting how deep the V bit will plunge on the next badge.

Regarding the design, if you can't get that part cutting resolved why not change the ribbon to a relief carving on the surface and a shallow vcarving of letters instead of having to make the ribbon a deep vcarving with the letters inside?

Default Changing artwork

Jack thanks for your input and everyone else's. The issue was so minor that most would never have noticed, but i am anal and do. Not sure if this is what you mean jack but i like the change and it certainly takes care of the wavering problem. plus more of my board remains board and not sawdust.

Oh yeah I feel like I am a member of the team now. I broke my first bit 3 nights ago. a brand spanking new onsrud and maple did not mix well together.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by cowboy1296; 12-15-2011 at 10:03 AM. Reason: more info

yes that was what i was talking about only i wouldn't vcarve the ribbon ends, i would make that part of the relief carving also. But in the end it simply is in the eye of the beholder as to what looks good. I think about it in terms of how a real badge might be made and it normally wouldn't be vcarved, although what you have done looks great.

BTW...you are not an official member till you learn the official "Shopbot Handshake".....do some research and you should find the information.

Default ribbon

i did try and raise the whole ribbon, buttttttttttttttt i just could not make it look right. in trying this version, to me it looked better. but thanks for the suggestions, at least you got me this far.

there is a handshake too, oh no.