Thread: Attaching 1-1/4" Extera shutters to brick building

Default Attaching 1-1/4" Extera shutters to brick building

I am looking for some recommended ways to attach some 1 1/4" Extera shutters to my brick building.

French clips? Masonry screws? Lag bolts and lead inserts?

Do I need to leaving breathing room behind this material or can I put it directly on the surface of the bricks?

I have already primed both sides.

I'm not sure if this is what you're looking for, but I used to be a general contractor and we used these style hinges (notice the shutter doesn't sit flush with the brick):
    P1010064.jpg

They also make a hinge similar that is longer, this will allow you to attach the sutter hinges to the window trim instead of the brick. For attaching the "S-Hook", just use a masonry bit to predrill and then you can use a lag bolt.

Try these guys Stan:

http://www.acornmfg.com/categories/3

But from your options you are considering it sounds like these are just decorative. Any of the methods you wrote should work fine and with primed Extira you shouldn't have to worry about degradation of the back of the material whether you are directly on the brick or not. If you use a french clip (I'm assuming you are talking about the aluminum z-clips and not just angle cut wood or Extira) you should be more or less OK under normal conditions but I doubt if it would satisfy hurricane code.
    Another way is to use a couple lengths of angle at top and bottom of the shutters installed so you can't see the part attached to the wall.
    Tapcons will probably do fine as well.

Prime and paint all edges or it will absorb water. Drill holes in the back of each in the corners to receive a long threaded bolt or rod (anything that you can either cut the head off or doesn't have a head to begin with), drill corresponding holes in the brick, clean and fill said holes with silicone caulk and slip the bolts/rods into place. Job done.

I had planned to install them just as decorative. But hurricanes have been know to roll through here now and then so it might be worthwhile making these shutters functional. Thanks for the links to the hardware.

You're welcome Stan. Acorn doesn't have everything but they are a great source for a lot of traditional hardware. Once you select the style you want it is worth an online search of the part numbers for pricing. I little while ago I ended up finding best on-line distributor pricing from an outfit that was coincidentally home based a few blocks from my shop! (www.doorware.com)