Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: CNC and Handwork

I'm so glad to see interest with a little hands on craftsmanship. I've seldom seen machine carving that couldn't be improved with a little hand work. It gives a human touch and doesn't look as mechanical. It's possible to breath life into your work, like Brian has done, with the human touch.

The rose pedals were made with Magic Sculpt. It's a two part epoxy putty and has a generious setup time. Usually over night. Each of my pedals was made by rolling out the putty, like pie dough, and shaping them around a wooden dowel. It's fun and easy.

Www.magic-sculpt.com

Joe Crumley
    www.normansignco.com

Great idea on the flowers, I may get some of that Magic Sculpt, what are the stems? Looks like copper in the pic.

When I first got my Bot in 2003 I tried to make it do it all, and I realized I spent more time designing than I could just do by hand, most of my pieces are custom so why spend a load of design time if the human computer can do it faster.

I have certain pieces for repeat the bot is great for those and my furniture.

Joe,
    In your semi retirement i think we see a new profession for you.....
    a cake decorator! Those flowers and petals look great

Brian,

Materials like Magic Sculpt are available through Taxidermy outlets. You may find some at one of your local shops. Epoxy putty is a regular material in this trade. That's what I used for the Long Horn on the sign below.

It's a select number of CNC folks who create custom work. Most of what I see coming directly from a machine is too rigid. It's like listening to the player piano. Not much soul in that kind of of music. I've always felt it necessary to attempt to breath life into a project. Trying to get away from the mechanical look. It doesn't take much effort to keep the rigors of mortise from setting in. But it takes practice and mistakes are going to happen.

For me it's like playing the piano. You're going to make lots of mistakes, but that's what it takes to accomplish the skill. I'm making mistakes all the time. It's the price one pays to learn.

Joe Crumley
    www.normansignco.com

Thumbs up

I love this thread!!! Joe you are an inspiration, Brian as well!!!

You guys are great, keep the stories coming.

Rik

Beautiful work on the rose petals and signs, Joe! That Magic-Sculpt is fun stuff alright!