Thread: How & where to place wood

Default How & where to place wood

I have my student carving designs onto top of a cabinet that they are building. I showed that where to clamp the wood (where I always have success) when they run their files the design is engraved in different places each time. what am I doing wrong?

Thanks for any help
    Rob

It depends on where the x,y 0 is placed when you originally make the file.
    It sounds like you are setting your Zero point say at the Lower left corner, and maybe they are setting their files with their x,y 0 in the center. or vice versa.

take two files that, one is right, other is wrong, open them up in whatever pgm you use and look for that difference.

maybe post a screenshot of the 2 files or the files for someone who has your pgm to check it out.

Also you or they may not be resetting the table x,y 0 so if you place the 0 at the lower left of material and the lower left corner of the table on say a 12"x12" piece and they set the the 0 in center of material and place the material 24" down the table, it will go back to the original table 0 at the corner
    Last edited by myxpykalix; 12-22-2011 at 09:38 AM.

If all of the parts are the same size you can screw some blocks down at the corners of your cabinet top that will not only hold your part in place but also allow you to quickly change out parts without having to re-zero your xy. Doing his will not only save you time but also eliminate zeroing mistakes if an entire class is on the same project.

I think I figure out what was going wrong. My students were not resetting the table like Jack mention. The have ran about six pieces with out issues.

Thank you all.
    Rob

I charge a nickel for all right answers so contact me and i'll give you the address of where to send it lol

glad to help..

always check for offset. most files I import are offset by some amount.

Quote Originally Posted by myxpykalix View Post
    I charge a nickel for all right answers so contact me and i'll give you the address of where to send it lol

glad to help..

do you give a nickel if you give the wrong answer if so you are way behind wink wink

we've only had the desktop for a couple of weeks and one 1/2" bit and a lumber pile later we learned to reset the 0,0 prior to cutting as well.

thanks for this forum! just by lurking around many of my rookie questions are getting answered. The shopBot support was certainly a huge factor in the purchase decision (the great deal on desktops didn't hurt either:-)

karl

Default 0,0 location

Sometimes it is simpler to place the material and linework in the design file so it is centered on the point 0,0 ( the material being equal in all four quadrants )

From there, have the home position set to 0,0

From there, locate the bit over the center of where you want to cut and call that point 0,0 / Run the cut files.

Can't hardly miss by too far with this setup.
    The decimal point seems to be the most important on the z axis... x & y not so much....
    ShopBot... Where even the scraps and things you mess up and throw away are cool....