Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Some basic training

Default toolpaths

When they title a toolpath, they need to identify a few things... do NOT use a bunch of . dots... or the file will not save properly.

My tool path titles look something like this

TXT 125em 080 which means text with a 1/8" end mill that will cut .08 inches deep.

or Pfc 25em 800 which means Profile final cut 1/4"end mill that will cut .8 inches deep.

As always the z depth is critical for the decimal point......
    The decimal point seems to be the most important on the z axis... x & y not so much....
    ShopBot... Where even the scraps and things you mess up and throw away are cool....

I title my tools in the toolpath like this

12endmill
    18ballnose
    90vbit

I just omit the slash (cuz you can't use it!) and then i don't have to try to remember that .125=1/8th

I never call anything a "ballmill" as some others do, because if you call that toolpath up a week later you may not remember..."was that a ballnose or endmill?"
    bottom line is all of these different ways work, just whatever works for you!

PM sent to Don

Please contact me. I have been integrating ShopBot / Part Works training in my mill and cabinet making class for over four years. I have some great activities.

Contact me by email bjdickinson@bisd.us
    or phone 956-455-6153

Brett Dickinson
    Const. Technology Teacher
    Brownsville, Texas

Ed and Brett,

I've sent you emails.
    Don
    Diamond Lake Custom Woodworks, LLC
    www.dlwoodworks.com
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty and well preserved piece; But to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out, bank accounts empty, credit cards maxed out, defiantly shouting "Geronimo"!

If you make something idiot proof, all they do is create a better idiot.

Don returned your email please let me know it if the information helped

Ed

Talking

Just to update everyone - I spent half the day in the high school teaching 4 woodshop/metalshop classes the basics of CNC and CAD/CAM. It was more of an overview then full out instruction on how to run the machine. As the regular teacher and I suspected there were a few kids who were VERY interested in learning a lot more. Most of the kids were only interested in playing with their phones and if they could get away with it games on the computers on the desks. The regular instructed figured that there would only be 2 to 4 kids per class that would really be turned on by the possibilities of the CNC world. The rest of the kids are there because they needed to fill one of the class slots. That's life in high school.

We covered basic CAD/CAM and the differences. A little on how to design things in CAD and import them into CAM (Partworks). We went over the ShopBot with an emphasis on safety. We left the machine turned off for this time around. I showed them several things I've done using the Shopbot and there were lots of oohs and aahs. So it did ring a bell.

I gave the instructor links to all the tutorials from Vectric so the kids, who were interested, could start learning the basics of how to use the software. Once the interested kids are all identified, I will be going back in to teach more details on creating efficient toolpaths, compensating for flex in the Shopbot for highly accurate work, and actually running some projects on the machine.

Over all it was a good day and several kids seemed very interested. I look forward to going back to work with them more.

Thank you to everyone here for all your ideas and insight into approaching this project. I couldn't have done it without you guys. THANK YOU!!!!
    Don
    www.dlwoodworks.com
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty and well preserved piece; But to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out, bank accounts empty, credit cards maxed out, defiantly shouting "Geronimo"!

Default Cell phone storage rack

Could you design and build a classroom "cell phone storage rack" so the kids would not have to worry about the damn things during class ???
    The decimal point seems to be the most important on the z axis... x & y not so much....
    ShopBot... Where even the scraps and things you mess up and throw away are cool....

That is something I think every shop teacher would like to have. Forget that, every teacher would like to have....
    Don
    www.dlwoodworks.com