Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Editing the Z-Zero command

Default Editing the Z-Zero command

I am running the SB control software ver. 3.5.1 I would like to edit the C2 command. In particular I want to change the final Z setting. After the zeroing routine is complete the Z goes to 1.000 inch above the zero for the material. When I am cutting thick material there often is not an inch left for the router to rise up and the carriage hits the frame.
    How do I edit the C2 command?

Phil

open your shopbot software and under tools go to set up and you can input a different z safe pull up

Phil, most likely you have a parameter set wrong somewhere, as this should run bulletproof "as delivered".

However you can edit the C2 command itself by going to the sbparts\Custom folder and look at the contents of custom2.sbc. That is a text file so it can be edited with any text editor such as NotePad. (Do not edit these with a word processor!)

That file can either contain the logic for doing the zeroing, or point at another file that does. If it points to another file.. you can edit that one and change any part of how zeroing is done on your bot.

At first this seems daunting, but its not too bad. Read and study before changing anything. The haze clears pretty quickly. Be sure to save the original files so you can remove your "improvements" when things are not what you expected.

Test any changes you make completely before using your new code in production. Also save a copy of your new file in another directory, if you reload SB3 it may over-write your customized routine.

The documentation for SB3 control language is found in the folder:
    C:\Program Files\ShopBot\Developer Tools (on my computer)
    The specific file is:
    ProgHand.pdf

Read that file, it explains all this.

Customizing the zeroing routines makes a world of sense when you understand how to change the generic routines with ones setup for what you want the machine to do. You can get rid of unnecessary question/answer sessions etc.

Hope that helps-

D
    "The best thing about building something new is either you succeed or learn something. Its a win-win situation."

--Greg Westbrook

The machine safe z height can also be adjusted in the "cutter" tab at the bottom left of the control panel.

Thank you gentlemen.

Phil

I have had to do this many time when I don't have 1" left of room to raise the bit.

Dave, if I use the Cutter tab to set the Safe Z is that the Z value that the Bot will wind up at upon completion of the Z-Zero routine?

Thanks,

Phil

Should do.

Phil,

It depends on what version of SB3 you have installed and or if you are using a previously modified zzero file.

Up until recently, the zzero file utilized a safe z setting in the "my_variables.sbc" file that is set by running "Setup" under the Tools menu or changing it manually. Now, the zzero file reads the system variable %28 which is set with the cutter tab.
    Scott

I'm trying to figure out how to make the change in the final Z setting in the Zzero.sbp file. I've pasted in the portion of the file that refers to "Pull-up to safe height" I can't figure out where I need to set that variable. Is it in the My-variables file?

Phil

CONTACT2:
    'This is our subroutine for action on hitting the plate the second time
    'We hit the plate !
    ON INP(&my_ZzeroInput,1) 'First set switch to nothing to prevent secondary trigger
    VA,,,&zbot,,,,,0 'Set final Z location and Zero Table Base Coordinate
    PAUSE 1
    VS, ,&start_Zmove_Speed
    MZ, &zup 'Pull-up to safe height
    PAUSE 1
    END

TEST_CLEAR:
    &cleared = &my_ZzeroInput + 50
    IF %(&cleared) = 1 THEN PAUSE 3
    IF %(&cleared) = 1 THEN GOTO NO_CLEAR