Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Editing the Z-Zero command

Phil, I ran into the same problem not that long ago. What you are looking for is in the "My Variables" file. I ended up setting my safe Z height to .25" and it worked perfect.

Thanks Tyler - that helps.

Phil

I found a better way. In the Shopbot Console, under Tools I went to Shopbot Setup and entered the values I wanted. This is where the My_ Variables is created.

Phil

Default Z-aaaarrrrgggghhhhh!!!

Ok all you Z-Experts, here's one for ya:

Great thread -- thank you kindly. I followed the directions and figured I had it made in the shade.

Context:
    ShopBot Desktop with Porter Cable Model 890 Router with magnetic dust shield, zeroing Z-axis with Z-Zeroing plate.

Problem:
    When I use my Z-Zeroing plate, I take off the dust shield (the little magnetic one that attaches to the bottom of the router, not the big honker that surrounds the entire router) so I can see the bit to easily connect/disconnect the jumper cable (it's a bit large for me to call it an "alligator clip").

When I go to put the magnetic dust shield back on with the default of 1" of "safe z-height", I can barely squeeze the brushes enough to get the dust shield between the bottom of the bit and the work piece, usually scraping the top of the shield across the bit and wondering aloud why the default doesn't take the dust shield into account.

I followed the above instructions and changed it to 2" using the [T]ools [S]hopbot setup utility. Dang if that didn't solve it like a champ. Thank you to all who contributed -- you are Gentlepersons and Scholars.

But.

Then I put a thicker work piece under the router for zeroing. Yes, it was thick enough that when zeroed, it was closer than 2" to the top of the Z-axis upper limit. When I ran that, I got that lovely sound of gears grinding and me practicing my cursing in the specific direction of the ShopBot.

Question:
    Is there a command that I can run after zeroing that will raise the router up as high as it can go without grinding it past the stops -- kinda like when I do the C3 command to zero X and Y using the proximity switches? (Am I being naive to ass-u-me that there is a proximity switch for Z?)

Thanks,
    Dave

Check your final Z clearance when you set up your toolpath for that particular job. I am talking about in PartWorks of V-Carve. The final Z clearance will be from the top of your material. The thicker the material, the higher your Z. You must adjust for each job. joe

Re-computing the maximum z height for each cutting operation is an inefficient way to do things. Much better idea: add a maximum Z prox switch. Let the machine figure it out. Then if you change the thickness of the stock you are working with, you dont have to recompute the toolpath. Just run the file. Change nothing.

Here is a series of posts where I show what I did. Works wonderfully.. Problem GONE.

http://www.talkshopbot.com/forum/sho...07&postcount=7

Read the series of posts I did, as each one adds more info, like the command to seek the prox switch, and where to get the parts.

Adding a max Z prox switch is easy to do, use the shopbot to make a mounting plate that works for your machine. Cost is very nominal, benefit is huge.

Each time the machine seeks max-z, the Z readout on the SB3 program is showing me how much air there is below the bit, and how much is available in any given setup. Its automatic. It corrects itself for whatever bit is installed at the moment, how deeply its nested in the collet, and the material thickness.

D
    "The best thing about building something new is either you succeed or learn something. Its a win-win situation."

--Greg Westbrook

Thank you Dana. What was your source for a prox switch?

Dave,
    If you ever get down to Charlottesville look me up.

@Jack: I do get down that way periodically, I'll ping you next time I head out.
    - Dave