Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Adapting a jet mini lathe to an indexer?

Default Adapting a jet mini lathe to an indexer?

Based on the talk on the forum that independant axis control via software may be a while in coming, my thought that the simplest and probably cheapest alternative would be to mount a jet mini lathe inbetween the indexer and tailstock.
    I see John Haggerty's setup but i'd rather have a direct connection as you can see my setup.

My questions are, has anyone set one up in line with the indexer? Do they line up properly? If not what did you do? If so what type of connection did you use to connect the shaft of the indexer to the lathe? I was thinking of using a double locking collar like on my legacy unless someone has a better solution. I would prefer some type of quick release system because i know some day i'm going to turn it on while it is still engaged to the indexer and would prefer not to screw anything up.

I have seen the jet mini's and if they are belt driven wouldn't it be easiest to just disengage the belt when in use as the indexer but still need a quick release from indexer shaft when using as lathe.

43054.jpg

43055.jpg

43056.jpg

43057.jpg

Hi Jack
    I agree with you about the direct connection. I did just disengage the belt. I hope these pictures make it clearer
    John

43068.jpg

43069.jpg

John,
    I was confused by your pictures from this post:
    http://www.talkshopbot.com/forum/mes...tml?1243955224
    because it looked like it wasn't a direct connection. Based on your new pics you must have redone it?
    Those help alot. A couple questions i have are this.
    When you want to disengage the indexer it looks like you just loosen the screw on the head of the jet? If so is there any problems?

I have a bit of a problem and a difference then the way yours is connected you have the headstock and tailstock aligned by virtue of the lathe bed and have adjusted your indexer motor to that height.
    Since my indexer bay is 8'+ I need to use the indexer head, then the jet mini then the indexer tailstock all in a line.
    Do you happen to know what the height is from the bottom of the base of the jet to the center of the shaft is?
    Because i'm thinking i'm going to have to make some kind of modification to accomodate any differences in height (if you can image putting the jet infront of my indexer as seen in the picture).
    If i make any adjustment to the height of the indexer head i also have to adjust the tailstock to match. By just adjust the height of the jet inbetween that saves alot of work.

Jack--- This has been a big delay in my final set-up as well. I want a set-up much like you are describing. I am getting closer to figuring out what it will take for me, but there are many problematic areas that have to be figured out. One problem solved leads to it creating another. Would you happen to know of a place to buy only a tailstock that would handle a 24" dia.

John--- In your set-up, is the shaft from the indexer to the lathe custom made? The indexer shaft is metric, and I am assuming the lathe is not.

here is one thing i think might help. It is a shopsmith power coupler.

43072.jpg

Jim,
    I think any decent tailstock could handle a 24" stock. The problem you have is finding a suitable way to mount all this. What you have to do is create enough space above and below your router for your diameter.

If you are mounting your in the Y axis on the end you will also need extra space past the end of the table for diameter.
    Here is my interpretation of what you would need to do is create a riser system to accomodate the diamter and i don't know if you have it.

43076.jpg

Jack, I looked up that power coupler. Not much info on it. Doesn't say what the inside diameter is. You would need to match that up yo your indexer shaft. I think John's shaft is custom made to go from metric to inches. As far as the riser blocks go, that is what I probably will end up doing. I just was hoping there would be a better set-up for the tailstock. Each time you add a component like that, it adds to the chance of things not staying in alignment.

Yes that is the problem, as crude as the drawing was you got the idea and as you said i too figured the problem would be alignment.

I had a heck of a time finally getting mine aligned and at this point don't have much play and know i'm going to have to redo it all if i add the lathe.
    I might have to go back to using my legacy ornamental mill for turning symetrical profiles manually because its easy on it.

Jack,
    I use a rigid shaft collar from McMaster Carr. They come in a wide range of sizes, including, I think, inch to metric.

Here is a pic of my interlock to prevent turning the lathe on when the indexer is attached. It is pretty low tech but works fine.
    43107.jpg

i'm not sure what i'm looking at, tell me what i'm supposed to see? (forest, for the tree thing)