Thread: Help With Topo model creation

Default Help With Topo model creation

I'm trying to create a topo model for a client from sign foam. I have the client's DWG file of the contours. The software I run is AutoCad 2000 and Corel X3 along with PartWorks. I'm comfortable with AutoCad and can elevate the contours to the appropriate elevations. I want to keep the curbs of the topo for now (I'll hand sand it down later), and just want to get a "layered" looking topo.

The trouble I'm having is deciding the most efficient way to set up the 3D (or 2.5D) file. I'm not familiar with meshes and other surfacing tools. I have a copy of 3D Studio Max but I have little experience with it. I know it has a "Landscape" tool, but I don't know if it's the right way to go.

What I've done in the past is cut each contour and lay them up...time consuming. Can anyone point me to an archive or give some advice. I'm new to the forum and having a bit of trouble finding the best place to look.

Thanks

garyc Guest

Robert...
    I have done this (in reverse) in the past. Compare the number of elevation changes to your cut depth. For example 20 changes for 2" of model thickness.

Allowing 1/2" for a base, the 20 elevation changes will occur over 1.5" of model. That makes each topo step .075 difference in cut height. You can now select your elevation vectors and an outer border vector to pocket each elevation, stepping down .075 for each layer.

Here is an example of a "bottom-ographic" contour map.
    Attached Images Attached Images