Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Unwrapping a 3d model to cut with aspire.

Default Unwrapping a 3d model to cut with aspire.

I'm looking for a way to "unwrap" a 3d model and lay it flat so that aspire can be used to edit and cut. Is there a good way to do this?

You can pay someone with ArtCAM to do it for you. I am not familiar with any other package that will allow you to unwrap a 3D file.

-B

Can someone explain this unwrapping 3d model process? What is the difference between a 3d model and a relief file?

Thanks,

RB

Richard,
    This is a full 360° 3D model:

37808.jpg

This is the exact same 3D model unwrapped in ArtCAM in 'flattened relief' form:

37809.jpg

Unwrapping full 3D models can be tricky depending on the model and overall shape. Editing a full 3D model using sculpting-type tools is even more of a challenge. As you can see from the example above, editing the relief is not straight forward. Things get increasingly complex when you start talking about 'Full 3D' or rotary type work.

I personally use the ClayTools System for full rotary-type reliefs. This allows me to edit laser scanned rotary files and sculpt them all the way around, even with difficult or complex shapes. The price of the system isn't cheap, but it lets you actually 'feel' the relief on the screen.

If you have an indexer and a SB probe, then you can have the indexer unwrap the rotary relief for you. I have described exactly how to do this at least once before, so use Google to search the forum regarding this.

John,
    If you post a pic of the model you want to unwrap, I can make suggestions. Or, just send me the file and I'll see what I can do.

-B

Brady..I am sorry to say you didn't made the Flattening or unwrapping of above 3D model correctly... Unwrapping of 3D Model is a science.... Here is some discussion on Artcam Forum that will give you some insight How to unwrap 3D Model in ArtCam... You can UNWRAP 3D Model in Studio Max too...

http://forum.artcam.com/viewtopic.ph...55&start=0

Actually Khalid...It is correct. I've been using Pro since version 5 and have unwrapped (and re-wrapped into STL) for many of my customers. The link that you posted does not illustrate the proper way to unwrap a 3D model in Pro, so I can see how you might have gotten confused. It seems strange that you deleted most of your posts in that thread? Why?

Here's how I do it - Model MUST be in the absolute center of the model:

37830.jpg
    Model is Unwrapped in the Y - Which REALLY means that Y the centerline of a cylinder that will be unwrapped in the X.

Here is the Unwrapped model:

37831.jpg
    Wrap X is selected.

If 'Wrap Y' was selected, the model would just look like a regular ring, like this:

37832.jpg

Here are BOTH the unwrapped and wrapped models.

37833.jpg

-B

Here are a few shots of 'flat reliefs' that have been converted to rotary...quick & dirty. 'Egg Shape' was created with a single rail sweep of a bezier curve & then texture added to it. Pretty basic stuff.

37839.jpg

37840.jpg

37841.jpg

37842.jpg

-B

Brady.. Thanks for information...If you just download the PDF attachment in my Artcam forum thread (Link mentioned in my above post), you will find how i did it with the help of fellows...

Can you tell how you will make tool path..and I afraid the model you unwrapped in the second last post, will not get the actual results (3D model) after machining..

2nd and 4th Picture in your Post No.2727 is not unwrapped as it should be...
    Are you happy with that?

IT will be a nice discussion with you Brady... May be I am wrong..I am not a perfect
    ..But I machined various models on CNC by using the same technique i learned in Artcam Pro 2008...

May be i am doing some wrong and for this i will be gratfull to you if you help me...

P.S: I am writing the words, that may give you impression of taunting...but its not true, really i want to learn unwraping from you and i request you to give more insight in this topic including the toolpath generation and setting procedure of stock in the indexer and where to put tool=0 position and how to calculate the relief height in circular stock....... I will also be happy if you can post the Gcode for the Roped column here (if u can ) so that i take it into NCPLOT for learning purpose...