Thread: SBLink and pocketing tool selection

Default SBLink and pocketing tool selection

So I've scoured the SB and TW forums for insight and am only getting a glimmer...here's what I have:

2011 PRSa with my own ATC system loaded with tools as follows:
    1 = 375 CENTURION HIPERF COMPRESSION
    2 = 5MM BRAD POINT DRILL
    3 = 250 DOWN SPIRAL
    4 = 5MM UP SPIRAL
    5 = 125 UP SPIRAL BALLNOSE TAPER
    6 = 1250 SURFACER

I'm running 3/4" (18mm) veneer core with no issues...outline cuts (tool 1), full dados, blind dados, some 10mm dia pocket thru holes (tool 3), lots of 5mm x 13mm deep system holes (Tool 2)...nesting is all good, ATC'g is good, machining is good, lots and lots of chips spewed forth. didn't need the 5mm spiral, until...

...I need to cut some 1/2" baltic birch for Blum Tandem drawer boxes...all was going great until I nested in SBLink and it erred saying it couldn't find a tool for the 5.5mm x 6mm deep dados req'd for the 1/4" (5.5mm) drawer bottoms. My pocket tool setting in SBLink lists my .375 compression. I thought if that was too big it would keep searching until it found the wee 5mm.

Clearly I am mistaken.
    Anyone out there to turn a glimmer into a bright light for me?
    Dan Krage
    Shop Monster PRSa 9660
    (ummm, slightly modded...)

http://www.modernwoodelements.com
    dkrage(@)modernwodelements.com

"Never be afraid to try something new. Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic."
    — Dave Barry

garyc Guest

Dan...
    You answered your own question. You cannot cut a 5.5mm (.2165) dado with a .375 tool. The pocket tool (singular) IS what you define it to be.

"I thought if that was too big it would keep searching until it found the wee 5mm."

The toolpathing will follow the parameters that you have entered. And ONLY the parameters you have entered. It will never think. Especially like a cabinetmaker!

OK OK OK oh great one...that was the glimmer I was referring to...thought so.

Now, say I set my pocketing tool to the wee 5mm and appropriate feed/speed, etc...am I now limited to doing all pocketing with that tool? Even if I spec a big wide pocket?
    Dan Krage
    Shop Monster PRSa 9660

"Never be afraid to try something new. Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic."
    — Dave Barry

garyc Guest

Dan...
    Before I answer that one, can you send me an export from the SB Link?

I'm going to test a couple more things, before I use up any more of your time Gary. Once I do, if I still am scratching my head, I'll send the export file to you. Thanks for the offer to inspect it!

Also, check this excerpt from the SBLink manual I found after I read it for the 3rd or 4th time...(I know...I'm a slow learner)

p25
    "Tools specified as Rout/Dado will be used in Pocketing operations. The pocketing feature will search through the list of Operation Tools starting at Operation 1. The FIRST tool found which successfully performs the pocketing operation will be selected.
    It is good practice to set your tools from larger diameter to smaller diameter in the Operation Tools list."
    Dan Krage
    Shop Monster PRSa 9660

— Dave Barry