Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: high school cabinetry closing

Hybrid View

Default high school cabinetry closing

James Mcgrew

I need your help

tuesday night i am going to speak at the board meeting for richland district two as the principle of richland northeast high school with one year of experience is moving to eliminate the auto and cabinetmaking programs and replace them with culinary arts at the high school level. this program has cnc machines and growth in students since its inception. any one in the columbia are...a who can attend i would appreciate it. this is not about any local area it is about all. this is about exposure to manufactiing and self made ingenuity, it includes signmaking, plastics, construction and the list goes on. if you could send me short emails on your thoughts, this will be graetly appreciated, i will submit them to the board

the students really need your help email to new2cnc@gmail.com
    Last edited by frank; 03-02-2012 at 04:27 PM. Reason: typo

This probably would be a good idea for all of us write an email maybe relating an account of how, now with the benefit of hindsight, and years of experience, we have benefited from the education we received from shop classes and how we have adapted that education which was the foundation of our woodworking abilities to now include computer skills and how now, they compliment and enhance each other.

(I learned something in english composition class too...)

i need to confess that i have benn one algebra class away from my degree in institutional hospiltailty management for 30 years i was 3 credit horus away and went back into business woodworking

i am approaching this on an inclusion not an either or choice as we need education at all levels

Quote Originally Posted by myxpykalix View Post
    This probably would be a good idea for all of us write an email maybe relating an account of how, now with the benefit of hindsight, and years of experience, we have benefited from the education we received from shop classes and how we have adapted that education which was the foundation of our woodworking abilities to now include computer skills and how now, they compliment and enhance each other.

(I learned something in english composition class too...)
    thank you this is the train of thought

I never had shop classes and nobody would let me near a woodworking shop, until I was an adult for liability reasons. That could have been a 4 year head start.

The scariest part to me is that these kids who grow up without shop class eventually buy a home end up acquiring power tools and have no training in their use or shop safety. These are fundamental life skills. One of my Doctors was telling me about the tables saw he just purchased. They don't teach you about that sort of stuff in med school.

In the area I live now most of the Highschools still have shop programs. Some of then are quite good and it is amazing to see some of the work these kids do.

Feel free to quote me and if there is anything I can provide for an email let me know.
    Michael Schwartz - Waitsfield VT
    Shopbot prs standard 48x96. Aspire. SB Link.

Years ago they had a debate at what courses should be required in high school

shop and home economics
    how to get a passport
    how to change a tire
    how do do income taxes
    how to open a bank account
    how to swim
    how to apply for a job
    how to balance a checkbook
    first aid cpr and choking

There were other things but I can't remember them

Jim, you have mail! Russ

High Definition 3D Laser Scanning Services - Advanced ShopBot CNC Training and Consultation - Vectric Custom Video Training IBILD.com

you are a good man brady watson !

That was a great link, i enjoyed hearing his testimony that probably has a ring of familiarity in many of our own families. I knew as a teenager that I wasn't college material- (that's code for "I don't want to go to school anymore!")

We need skilled people to get back to a more diversified workforce with skilled labor