Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: high school cabinetry closing

i am preparing an email and some video about what we do here with our machines, the intent is to win over the inexperienced hearts and minds

Bill
    How do we motivate these young people?

My point earlier was that in the 70's it was the hippy arts that motivated students to take my class. I think Randy is headed in the right direction with his thoughts...also Robotic courses are very popular, robots are not all electronics, a full range of skill sets are necessary to complete one.

Students can be motivated... we have to find what it is. The sight of a ShopBot motivates me, young people take CNC and computers for granted, they have always been around as far as they are concerned. Time for educators to wake up and find what it is that is new and exciting today!

Steve

yall have no idea how greatfull i am for the support on this, the letters and emails post on foru,s is in the thousands and we have been able to garnish attention from local politicians, there is a discussion on this locally inwhich one person feels this is old school and we should move on.

what do you think you are welcome to join

Citizens for Better Government in Richland 2

"there is a discussion on this locally in which one person feels this is old school "

I just watched a very good program on tv where a group of folks (all with lots of college degrees) were trying to figure out how some 'old school' folks built the pyramids! Russ

Quote Originally Posted by chiloquinruss View Post
    I just watched a very good program on tv where a group of folks (all with lots of college degrees) were trying to figure out how some 'old school' folks built the pyramids! Russ
    Russ...Aliens built the pyramids...Everybody knows that!

-B
    High Definition 3D Laser Scanning Services - Advanced ShopBot CNC Training and Consultation - Vectric Custom Video Training IBILD.com

Cabinets Plus of Augusta, Hephzibah Ga 30815

Jim,
    The best way to tell if a politician is telling a lie is to watch and see if his (or her) lips are moving. rest assured it will be a lie or a half truth. If you catch them in a lie ,then its that you misunderstood them. what will happen when we all are too old to do this type of skilled work. If the younger people do not get taught who will do it? I commend you for fighting this up hill battle. You can try the politically correct way BRIBE THEM !

I am so glad I had a cabinet making Vocational class when I was in school, no computers then 1979-82 but I found what I loved. They had a machine shop also I used to drop in on that class on my free periods the teacher was glad to have me just because I was interested

Been doing woodworking since besides 4 years in the army, started at one shop that was fairly new, no one had formal furniture training within 6 months I was designing furniture. Two years later we got our first Cad program and really took off.

Did cad for about ten years before we got a Shop Bot, unfortunately the company got top heavy so I left getting my own bot in 2004.

People are all different some of us need to be using our hands to feel accomplishment, it is a shame how many schools are dropping shop class.

Default Thanks to all of you who sent emails

Here in Columbia SC we are seeing the end of Cabinetmaking, Shop and industrial Sciences in public education, the reasons that are stated are statisical while no efforts have been made in years to support these programs by the school boards and administrations, In the last school board meeting one of the members stated " we saw the end of plumbing then electrical. it is just time for the rest of it to go" he went on to say that the district had made marketing effortd for these programs yet there is no evidence of this. the school was notified of OSHA safety problems in these classes yet again no effort was done to correct.

i was asked recently who my "Group" was ? they feel i am on my own here yet i have recieved thousands of emails and support from our industry, and you fellows, the Carolinas AWI chapter has offered financial and voluntary support. this is falling on deaf ears. i need you to forward this email to any one who may have a comment about our industry. and its relationship to public industrial and vocational programs. the email addresses of those who will make these decisions are listed. they need your support.

Trustees

The Honorable Calvin "Chip" Jackson M.P.A., Chair
    Term: 2008-2012
    Phone: 803.647.5166
    E-mail: calvin.jackson@bwcar.org
    The Honorable Susan Brill, Vice Chair
    Terms: 2006-2008; 2008-2012
    Phone: 803.788.8516
    E-mail: sbrill@sc.rr.com
    The Honorable James Manning, M.A.T., Secretary
    Terms: 2010-2014
    Phone: 803.386.8242
    E-mail: jamesmanningsc@gmail.com
    The Honorable Melinda Anderson, R.N.
    Terms: 1990-1994; 1994-1998; 1998-2002;
    2002-2006; 2006-2010; 2010-2014
    Phone: 803.419.1377
    E-mail: spenand4@aol.com
    The Honorable Stephanie Burgess, Ph.D.
    Terms: 2004-2008; 2008-2012
    Phone: 803.530.9899
    Pager: 803.690.1294
    E-mail: scburgess@aol.com
    The Honorable Bill Flemming Jr., D.M.D.
    Terms: 1994-1998; 1998-2002;
    2002-2006;
    2006-2010;2010-2014

Phone: 803.261.1992
    E-mail: billflemming@sc.rr.com

The Honorable Barbara Specter
    Terms: 2002-2006; 2006-2010; 2010-2014
    Phone: 803.429.8084
    Email: bspecter@sc.rr.com

Katie Brochu, Ed.D.
    Superintendent

kbrochu@richland2.org

Sabrina Suber, Principal ssuber@richland2.orgMargaret Schilit, Assistant Principal maschilit@richland2.org Joe Watson, Ed.D., Assistant Principal jwatson@richland2.org Latoya Goodwin - Gary, Assistant Administrator lagoodwin@richland2.org Tiffany Ligon, Assistant Principaltligon@richland2.org

Things are not any better here in Canada. Young, smart kids who express some interest in trades are seldom encouraged to pursue them. Instead, the "guidance" counselors push them towards high priced University. It happened to me - I was pretty good in school, and they pushed me to go to University (where I killed three years in maths and science) before I wised up and went to college to follow my calling of working in the wood industry.

The high schools around me don't do a good enough job of promoting what a viable career in any trade can offer - not just a decent wage, but a way to keep your mind and body in shape, and also satisfaction of being creative, etc.

It is a shame, many young people would probably love to have a chance to learn something like woodworking. But they continue to cut back... been happening here since I was in school in the 1980's.

AJC

Here Here.... nicely said... to me the schools give them the very basics to go to another school.... trade or otherwise. gotta follow your hart and be happy what your doing... so many people not happy in their work!!! NOT ME