Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: high school cabinetry closing

Default the board is getting emails

and responding to those who send them thanks fellows!!

here is my statement on tue night

I intend to ask this board to give opportunity for a comprehensive effort by the school, the teachers and the public. with the ambiguity of whether these programs were marketed, supported being called into reasonable doubt without any supporting documentation it is time to move past this. i would ask this board to move forward with the health sciences program as proposed, Richland Northeast has the room and support this program should not be held up by any measure. I have requested a meetting with Mrs Suber and as of today have not recieved a response, I am including a copy of this request that was sent last monday.

In Cabinetmaking we cannot proceed without a plan, we have ethics and principles which guide us to success on behalf of our clients, these include " Failing to Plan is Planning to Fail" in the same way a contract or construction plan is a roadmap to success i would believe the same is true in education. to give comprehensive planning to the CATE programs at RNE will either provide success or allow for all to participate in the removal of the programs if after intentional efforts by all they are not viable.

Mr. Jackson stated that "the challenges we face in this district require us to come together not only as a Board but as an entire community to look for cooperative ways to work together to try and resolve issues, and that he is excited for the opportunity and the spirit of cooperation he is seeing throughout the district. He further stated he worked for 12 years at the Trident Technical College in Charleston, South Carolina and had direct responsibility for programs so he does hear loud and clear the concerns of the people who are speaking from that perspective." (Richland 2 Meeting January 24 2012) I believe this statement will lay the groundwork for facing the hard work it will take to find the common ground in the interest of the Students, the School and the District. the potential of increase in dropouts and expulsion is also a viable problem given that 160+/- of the students affected are minority in background and the probability for replacement interest in the new programs is low. this is a narrow path to take without serious consideration.

This is an Excellent opportunity for the school and the district to face some hard problems, with the interest generated it seems wise to take the high road and show the students, as well as the public at large that this can be faced in a cooperative way and if solutions can be reached and expanded then all winners and if not then it shows the willingness to try, there is no greater message to a young mind than leaders who know they tried their best.

In a spirit of cooperation everybody succeeds, in division somebody loses. In the case of Richland Northeast my prayer is it is not the students, any of them

Sounds to me like she's already made up her mind that she doesn't want this program to continue and is fighting your proposal all the way. It sounds like she is bringing her own personal bias's to bear.
    It might be because she's a woman she has more of an affinity toward "cooking class" and doesn't understand. An analogy is most little girls like to play with dolls instead of baseball bats. I wonder if the attitude would be the same if it was a man in that position?

the response in the last two days has been phenominal, home builders assc. cefga.org (this is cool)

went well tonight there is some grounded hope !! more later

James, I don't know how familiar you are with Maker Faire but here is another avenue to investigate. My first exposure to Maker Faire was a couple of years ago when ShopBot hosted a user group meeting just prior to the Faire. My wife and I were walking around and noticed the admission sign. It said $35 per person! The parking sign said $17 per car! I turned to my wife and said boy this is going to be giant disaster! Well as usual I was as wrong as wrong can be! 35,000 poeple paid those fees! The next year the crowds were so big that the local freeway was shutdown for a couple of hours as people flocked to the event.

Now heres the important part for you, the entire purpose of Maker Faire is to exhibit any hobby or craft where folks MAKE something. From experimental aircraft to robots to cnc machines to homebuilt pinball machines to . . . . . . If there is no interest in shop type education then somebody needs to wake up and smell the roses! Russ

http://makerfaire.com/

I like where Russ is going... Maybe we're calling our courses the wrong things! "Entrepreneurial studies", "Business ownership 101", "Inventers techniques and tools", "Understanding Industry"... These are in fact accurate descriptions of classes that teach process! Even the most basic course can be described as "Relaxation methods of the successful Industrialist!

Steve
    Last edited by steve_g; 02-15-2012 at 12:34 AM. Reason: spelling

Glad to hear you made some progress! I agree with the above- it could all be in the name. Here at Wando High they call the class Intro to Engineering - and it stays full.

On a vote of 7 to 0 the board has terminated the Cabinetmaking program at RNE,

Sorry to hear that. Hopefully the kids will be happy with their Mcdonalds careers.
    Ken Zey
    Lookout Mercantile / Digital Millwork
    Rogers, AR
    www.CedarSlabSigns.com
    www.lookoutmercantile.com
    www.digitalmillwork.com

6x12 PRS alpha