Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Just a question for the general users

Default Just a question for the general users

Did you get into woodworking when you decided to purchase a shopbot? Or, like myself, did you come from a background of woodworking for several years, and decide to incorporate CNC afterwards?

Just curious..

AJC

I wanted a ShopBot ever since I was in high school and saw various magazine adds for them. I knew I would buy one someday. I was also more or less just interested in woodworking at the time, and just starting to acquire basic carpentry tools.

Fast forward about 10 years I had more than a couple of years of experience with woodworking under my belt, I finally got my ShopBot.
    Michael Schwartz - Waitsfield VT
    Shopbot prs standard 48x96. Aspire. SB Link.

My fantasy was that when I retired I would have a Shop and a Bot. Well I have retired and I love my Shop and my Bot. Now I'm learning about wood stuff! Russ

Hi AJ

telecaster911 here, from the forums.

I'm guessing you're building guitars.

I come from a long line of woodworkers. Dad, both grandfathers, etc, so I've been around cabinet makers and furniture makers all of my life.

Hi Andrew, ditto on Russ' reply for me. You don't happen to have a brother named Al by any chance?

Phil

I have done woodworking all my life, built my shop around my table saw, knew nothing about CNC then one day saw a show called "Cool Tools" where they demo'ed a small shopbot....I was hooked! I didn't need a CNC....
    BUT I WANTED ONE!!!!
    So I bought the biggest one, custom made a table for a indexer (with the help from Scott Cox with plans) and haven't regretted spending one penny that it cost.

The only problem i had was fitting it into my shop. The solution...build a bigger shop! It took a few years longer then i had hoped

I came kicking and screaming into the computerized age of woodworking (CNC). I think the nail marks are still in the floor of my old shop

I've been working with wood since I was around 8 years old (45 years ago). My Dad got me started in construction, pole barn building (the old way of hand cut mortise and tenon joints). I didn't get to touch a power tool until I was 16. The first power tool I owned was an old Craftsman 3/8" electric drill. Then I got a circular saw. Then a small router. I was in 7th heaven and figured I could do anything.

I've been woodworking on a much larger scale since the early 90's. I got big stationary power tools and am now up to 6 routers including two in tables. In the mid 2000's I started looking at CNC's as a way to be more productive and still offer a high quality product to my customers. After looking at many CNC's (and price tags) I settled on the Shopbot as a good entry level CNC machine. It took me a long time, lots of money poured down the drain and tons of frustration but I finally got the machine working.

My only regret is that I didn't jump into this arena much sooner. I might have won a lot more business.

Overall happy with the capabilities of the machine and the additional business it has enabled me to win.
    Don
    Diamond Lake Custom Woodworks, LLC
    www.dlwoodworks.com
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty and well preserved piece; But to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out, bank accounts empty, credit cards maxed out, defiantly shouting "Geronimo"!

If you make something idiot proof, all they do is create a better idiot.

Andrew:

I've been around... I worked my way through high school and college doing construction, manufacturing, electricity, electronics, mechanical design, you name it. So friends, family, and acquaintances have often asked me to go into partnership with them in various endeavors. When one particular venture was sold I decided that I was going to invest in myself. I replaced my tired construction grade shop tools with cabinet grade equipment, and ordered a ShopBot at that time. It's interesting how your thinking changes when you have a bot, whenever a project is proposed to me, my first thought now is "how can that be made on the bot"!

Steve

Steve,

I hadn't really thought about it but your are right. When asked about a project, I first think if/how it could be done on the CNC.

My mind used to race around trying to figure out all the machine and hand steps that would be required to do a project. Now that happens after I exhaust CNC solutions.

It does really change the way you look at making a living at wood working.
    Don
    Diamond Lake Custom Woodworks, LLC
    www.dlwoodworks.com
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty and well preserved piece; But to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out, bank accounts empty, credit cards maxed out, defiantly shouting "Geronimo"!

If you make something idiot proof, all they do is create a better idiot.

I dropped out of the business world (banking and finance) at 23 and started hanging wallpaper. Prior to that the only woodwork I did was some summer work framing and roofing and a short stint in a plant making cable spools. Got bored with wallpaper after a couple years and my roommate got me a job at the SeaVee boat plant he was working at. Went from 700-a grand a week to $4.25 an hour and have been doing wood ever since (Near 40 years). Never ran a CNC till I bought the bot, although by then I had been in management at a few places that had them. My first actual experience with them was the steel cutters at the shipyard. Of course they are only 2 axis.