Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Simply turn router on?

Default Simply turn router on?

Hi All,

I have a shopbot desktop with the router set up. I decided I wanted to use the bot as a makeshift pin router for copying something from a plexi template. Does anyone know how to turn the router on? I used the spindle on function, but the router only made a couple of revolutions then shut off. If I use the spindle warm up routine, I can keep it on long enough to cut my shape, but I'm not exactly sure what the warm up routine is doing? Is there a simple on/off for the router in case I decide to do this again?

yes, its called an extension cord! lol

Actually i'm not familiar with the desktop however it seems to me the "warmup routine" is for the spindles and is probably set up to just get the spindle warmed up and set to run a specified length of time, so I would not use that as my on-off power because I will bet it will turn off in the middle of a longer file. It is probably set up for like a 10 minute time.

I don't know what the new control boxes are set up for but with mine, i have a power source in the box that is controlled by a button on the side of the box so that when i start a file, i hit the button it starts the router. When the file ends the router turns off.

I also have a second extension cord run so that i can plug the router into that if i want constant power. If you have it hooked up so that it comes on with a warmup routine then you have the ability to have the router turn on at file startup. You may have some setting setup incorrectly identifying you as having a spindle rather then a router.
    A quick call to tech support might be the best answer.

Lauri
    I also don't use a desktop, but I assume that the control software is the same. Hopefully I don't embarrass myself.

If I want to turn on my router to do a manual cut, like split a sheet of stock... after pushing all the requisite buttons on the side of the control box, I toggle the switch in the software as shown in the attached image. in my case it's SW-1 for Z-1 or SW-2 for Z-2.

Steve
    Attached Images Attached Images

Alternate method:

If you commonly run a particular part as a pin router... this little program will turn on your router, move the head to the desired location, and wait for a mouse click to turn off.
    It waits because no parameter is given after the "PAUSE" command.

'SHOPBOT FILE IN INCHES
    IF %(25)=1 THEN GOTO UNIT_ERROR 'check to see software is set to standard
    C#,90 'Lookup offset values
    '
    'Turning router ON
    SO,1,1 '(Assumes that your router is set to switch 1)
    M3,10,10,.5 '(Change this to where you want the router head to be)
    PAUSE
    'Router will continue to run until you click on the pop up message box
    'Turning router OFF
    SO,1,0

END
    '
    UNIT_ERROR:
    C#,91 'Run file explaining unit error
    END

Steve

Again, not a desktop w/router user, but Alt-1 and open the keypad (K), answer the prompt, hit the start button.

Or, bring up the keypad (K), toggle output 1 (Alt-1 toggles it too) and push the start button. Toggle output 1 to turn it on and off as long as you have the keypad open.
    Scott

Thanks, toggle output 1 did the trick!

OK, we've updated our control software to the new version 3.8. Everything is working really great. However, we no longer can just turn on the router as all the little switches are gone. Anyone have an idea on how to get the router to spin up with the new control software?

The ALT 1 works for me with the new software.
    Cheers,

Default Genius

It hadn't even occurred to me to use the machine as a pin-router. That's brilliant!

THANK YOU

I've got an older buddy with a router, so I turn it on manually anyway. Sorry that I'm no help there.

I would use what Steve G said and tie it to a custom cut. So you could just C# it.
    "Once a person moves away from the computer and CNC some of the most important work begins." ~Joe Crumley