Thread: Router Jigs

Default Router Jigs

Only been into this CNC thing for 6 months and just realised that the making of a jig for most projects is now a thing of the past! On looking at pics of other users workshops you just dont see walls full of old jigs and fixtures! Absolutely wonderful stuff! You dont need a great heap of power tools either! Thank you ShopBot!

Bob:

Your computer files are your "jigs" now! Treat them with care... back em up and figure out a file naming system that will enable you to find them 5 years hence.

Steve

Bob,

What you say is true for our own use, however in my area there is a good market to make jigs and templates for local woodworking shops.

They normally only take a few minutes to program (sometimes they send them to me in dxf format, so I just verify dimensions), most are cut in 1/2" Baltic Birch and no finishing is required.

For an example, the picture below is a toolpath preview for a router template I recently cut. Only took a few minutes on the ShopBot and the results were perfect. Obviously could have been cut by hand, but the machine product was cost effective to the shop.

Just an idea for people that may want to bring in some extra money to support the habit.

Tim
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by steve_g View Post
    Bob:

Your computer files are your "jigs" now! Treat them with care... back em up and figure out a file naming system that will enable you to find them 5 years hence.

Steve
    Thanks for the heads up Steve. Had all the right intentions and bought a dedicated back up drive. And yes its still sitting on the bench EMPTY. Will be fixing this today without fail. Agree that a good naming system is essential as cryptic file names really do come back and bite you on the bum. We certainly have had some unexpected things happen when the wrong SB3 file was selected. Reckon that whilst you mess with CNC you will certainly delay the onset of altzeimers as you sure have to keep your wits about you all the time.

Default File names

And as ANY long time Shopbotter will tell you, do NOT name your files "test". You have NO idea just HOW MANY files you will keep finding on flash drives, CD,s , DVD's (even floppies too...) with the SAME name. I have been to shops where some 'Botters have VOLUMES starting from "test 1" to "test 2,354,567,987" etc. !!! The header writer MAY help to bail you out, but as it has been suggested a good naming protocol will make your life SO much better....
    "Share your knowledge. It is a way to achieve immortality"...The Dalai Lama

"Nothing is really work unless you would rather be doing something else....." Sir James Barrie

Tim,
    A great idea and will look into it. We sort of already supply crude jigs. With signs with more than one keyhole we supply a chunk of pine with the same hole centres for those going into masonary. It seems to be appreciated and we dont get signs coming back with the keyhole torn out! Cant imagine life without a CNC as jobs tend not to be put in the toooooooo hard box anymore and as Ken Zey taught us, just learn a little bit more each day. This forum has really saved us on three occassions and just hope we can repay once we ain more knowledge. Anyway we are off to the tip today to dump all the older jigs!

I have set up what I believe is a pretty good file system. Every job we do, whether a couple pieces cut for someone or a large job gets a job number.
    So for example, if I were to do a couple cutting jigs for someone all artwork and SB files go into a shared folder named PMI SB Files and a subfolder named (for example: 7146-Jones jigs) Then the actual file for this example would be called Door template 1 or something that will jog my memory later if necessary. Any fixtures for our shop go in a subfolder with the address as the name (1910). Sample files that are used over and over go in a subfolder in the same file called "Templates" In there are cabinet templates, support legs, sink cutout shapes, Soss Hinge files, etc,and also all of the toolpath templates. When opening the folder from the design program you only see the design files, when opening it from the control panel you only see the SB files, and when looking for a toolpath template that is all you see.
    We use that job number for a variety of bookkeeping chores as well. For the above job the first invoice would be 7146-A, and for purchasing materials each purchase order would be numbered 7146-1, 7146-2 etc.
    Labor time is also entered by the job number so we get ease in tracking job costs from A to Z and therefore always know how much money we don't make on every job! I use the same job number in every e-mail I originate about the job so I can bring them up quick when needed and have a "job file" that has all kinds of things in it relative to the job that are not SB related.