Thread: Test Post/New member

Default Test Post/New member

I am looking to purchase the Shopbot desktop.
    Can anyone tell me about the learning curve?
    How easy is it to go from delivery to first project?
    What software is involved?
    What additional software would be helpful for different applications?
    Thanks.

Joseph- on the shopbot site they directly answer your question. How long you can expect it to take to learn to use the machine. They ask you to rate your experience with computers and other factors.

Their estimate seems to be right on. You will make simple things immediately, and more complex things after a while. There is lots to learn, and I am certainly still learning.

Good news- the software you need for the desktop comes with it included in the price. It will be plenty good enough for your first year or two, perhaps forever. Its really nice software. In addition the fully functioning main control program is available as a free download from the main site. Go look at it.

The desktop is a very nice machine. Its not a "dumbed down" teaser to get you to spend a bunch more money. Its a worker just like its larger siblings. It does not cut quite as fast as the bigger machines, but you will probably amaze yourself at what I is capable of.

Not only that, its a shopbot. So you use the same software we all use, and so you can get help on the forum as well as the factory support.

If you have a problem on a weekend or holiday you can usually get through to tech support, and always get onto the forum.

Call the factory and see if there is someone in your area that already owns one.

My own experience, and the overwhelming majority of owners is that the machines are better than they advertise. The support is better than they advertise. And your results will be better than you imagined.

I have said before my biggest regret is the time I wasted trying to decide what machine to buy.

Best wishes-

D
    "The best thing about building something new is either you succeed or learn something. Its a win-win situation."

--Greg Westbrook

Dana,
    Thanks for the response. Believe me I have been through every inch of Shopbot's web page. I have narrowed my choice to the Shopbot desktop as beginning equipment and just seeking verification from users about it "ease".
    Thanks again. Looking forward this new venture.

I must say that 98% of my shopbot frustrations are with the operator typing this message. Borrowing some words from Brian Kernigan: "It wears well as your experience with it grows".

You will also discover that its ok to change your machine from the configuration you receive it in. Add a gizmo, move something out of your way, etc. It doesn't usually void the warranty. Read their policies to be sure before you change your machine.

What you have already experienced is the responses you get from other users. Almost always you can get an answer to a problem in just a few minutes by just posting it. By the end of the day you may have 15 or 20 replies to chose from! Most of the advice is excellent, you will learn who gives great assistance from experience.

I like the desktop enough to consider buying one as a second supplemental machine to my BT-32. I love the portability of it. Its not light weight, but moving my buddy across the floor on wheels takes a bit of effort. The possibility of taking a desktop CNC router with me to a location is very appealing. I do lots of small parts so having a second machine to work beside the first one would just get more done in a day.

If you order a machine, they send the software immediately so you can be learning before the machine arrives. It helped me and clearly others. You can start running much more effectively.

Hope that helps-

D
    "The best thing about building something new is either you succeed or learn something. Its a win-win situation."

--Greg Westbrook