Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 6 vs 12

kevin if you have the option depending on the table you have I HIGHLY recommend you mount it in the X. It will allow you to do so much more then if mounted in the Y.

Kevin,

$5K for an indexer is just silly.

I really like my 18:1 geared setup, I'm into it about $150 gecko, $100 Power Supply, PK296 with mount $300, a little machining and hacking and I am done. I only can do 60RPM, but that is plenty.

At first I ran my indexer parallel to the Y, I could do 10" round work but was limited to 36" length. I know have it mounted parallel to the X, but am limited by 7.5" between table and gantry.

Take a look at this post...
    http://www.talkshopbot.com/forum/sho...6686#POST96686

You will see my indexer both parallel to the Y and the X.

If I had to do it all over again I would really like to have a 60x96 instead of 48x96... but that just isn't pratical now. Something similar to Stephen Mosher's picture.

Would it be usefull to do a complete right up on a "poor man's indexer".

-- Pat

steven thanks for the picture
    pat how complicated was it yo set up i dont have much time
    thanks for the heads up on the x

aspire 2.5 vs atcam ?

the above picture of steven is what i.am after more variety for 3000 i can get it back in a couple of kitchens

Pat
    I would really like to see the info on a "poor man's" indexer. I am sure that Shopbot's indexer is first rate, but until I can make my prs Alpha really pay for itself I cannot make that sort of investment. Until then I would like to use something, and really don't want to try and reinvent it if someone already has a working model. I have seen the old posts, but an up to date one would be appreciated-
    If you get to Atlanta I'll buy the beer.
    Thanks
    Bob

Is there any reason an indexer from another machine could not be used. I am not familiar with the hardware to drive one, but should most controllers be compatible. Below is a picture of a indexer I came across that with the drive controller is around $1200. A tailstock is about a hundred and a 3 or 4 jaw chuck is about $250. What information would I need to find out if this would work... this is a 6 in... an 8 inch indexer is about a hundred more

mitch
    49304.jpg

Ask Khalid!

Is there a brand name or a URL that I could look up?

RIB

pat It would be very nice if you did a complete write up on your indexer. I would like to try and use one but don't want to invest the money on one from shopbot yet.
    thank
    frank

There's the beginning of some info on homebrew indexers on the wiki at http://shopbotwiki.com/index.php?tit...eBrewLatheMain ...that might be a good place to add more info so everyone can access it.

frank do a search for Jay Wyant he put together a indexer setup for around $500.00 i believe.

Thank Jack