Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Need to resume cut-file tomorrow: how to do it?

Default Need to resume cut-file tomorrow: how to do it?

After several tries using Search and terms like resuming cut file
    -with zero luck!..
    I feel the need to start a new thread to solve my problem!

I'm using SB software 3.4.27 on an 11 yr. old PRT-96.

Present cutting time elapsed on this file I'm now using is 2 hrs. and 40 mins.
    but I need to leave work in less than that time, so it won't be finished by then!
    It's cutting right now! -about 20 mins. into it..

How do I resume the .sbp cut-file after it's run itself about two-thirds of the way thru
    and then start back at That Line Of Code, first thing tomorrow morning??

Can I resume?

You don't have to be half-crazy to do CNC
    but it sure helps...

You can do one of the following in preferred order:

A) Hit the S-key to pause file. Leave control box and computer ON. Turn router, monitor OFF. Tomorrow, turn router on, and press R to resume cutting.

B) Hit the S-key to pause file. WRITE DOWN the line number where it stopped. Exit the file. Leave control box ON. Open file editor with FE command. Open the file you just ran and navigate to the line you stopped. ABOVE THAT LINE, you are going to enter 2 more lines:

1)MS,2,1 (or whatever your move speed should be for this file)
    2)Select and Copy the line you stopped at, and change the Z value to your SafeZ height, let's say 1" - E.G.:

Line stopped ---> M3, 25.4625, 16.258, 0.87614
    New line just above line stopped & below the MS,2,1 line: J3, 25.4625, 16.258, 1.00

Next WRITE DOWN the line that has the NEW MS command.

Then save the file, and use the FG command. Type in the line you just wrote down (the one with the MS command). Click on the Goto button. Make sure router is ON. Click on, Run from here.

---------------

I prefer the 1st option...but either will get you there. If you turn off the control box, you may lose XYZ position in relation to your file. Also, even with the control box on overnight, you may still have a transition line that goes across your entire relief where you started up the file again. The reason why this happens eluded me for a long time, but it can be chalked up to either material thermal shrinkage or material movement from stress relief as the material is machined away. Few realize just how much a part heats up, and if you stop the tool and let it sit, the material shrinks as it cools. Not much you can do about this....which is why for most projects I simply do not stop the machine.

-B
    High Definition 3D Laser Scanning Services - Advanced ShopBot CNC Training and Consultation - Vectric Custom Video Training IBILD.com

Thanks for your input, but I thought there might have been something considerably simpler in the software itself!

Option A occurred to us, but we decided not to.

Option B remains an option, filed for possible future use.

Thanks again.

but it sure helps...

David...
    What could be simpler than hitting [PAUSE], then [Resume]?

The only way to have a chance at returning to the exact same spot is to leave computer and machine running. Most important for the machine to be energized and holding its position and reporting any movement (or failure) to control software.

Monitors and peripherals not so important, but I have never made an effort to kill them. Unless there is an impending electrical storm, there is no real reason to turn off the control box or computer. Ever. We all do, but not because its needed.
    Gary Campbell
    ShopBot Orphan (No PM's)
    GCnC411(at)gmail(dot)com
    http://www.youtube.com/user/Islaww1
    www.cncseminars.com

Quote Originally Posted by garyc View Post
    What could be simpler than hitting [PAUSE], then [Resume]?

The only way to have a chance at returning to the exact same spot is to leave computer and machine running.
    Most important for the machine to be energized and holding its position and reporting any movement (or failure) to control software.

Monitors and peripherals not so important, but I have never made an effort to kill them.
    Unless there is an impending electrical storm
    , there is no real reason to turn off the control box or computer. Ever.
    We all do, but not because its needed.
    As it turns out, I left the boss in control for the last 20 mins. of the cut file, when I left work.
    It finished without incident, I'm pleased to say.

But to address your thoughts re. simply leaving things turned ON until Resumption the next day,Gary
    I quite agree -and it may come to that some days/nights over the next 2 wks. or so
    while we cut this hard-as-nails Iroko/African Teak stuff!

Our 'problem' is that electricity costs on a small Caribbean island are ever-mounting
    so we have got into the cost-saving habit of turning things off at 4:30 p.m.
    and then firing things up again at 9 a.m. but bad habits are there to be broken, right?
    -plus our ambient temperatures in a shut-up office are warmer than yours are

Speaking of killing motors..
    Would it be possible to MO
    Motors Off overnight, with the cut-file paused like that??
    Last edited by dhunt; 03-17-2012 at 12:53 PM.

but it sure helps...

Dave,

If you do an MO, you risk having an axis bumped and loss of position as an MO will disengage the motors.

Note: While MO is still in the menu on the current software (twice actually!?), I believe it is now obsolete on current tools.
    Scott

If guns kill people, I guess pencils misspell words, cars drive drunk and spoons make people fat.

"Those who hammer their guns into plows, will plow for those who do not" - Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by srwtlc View Post
    If you do an MO, you risk having an axis bumped and loss of position as an MO will disengage the motors. ===> Hmmmmm.

Note: While MO is still in the menu on the current software (twice actually!?), I believe it is now obsolete on current tools.
    I'm glad it still works on our PRT-96 using SB 3.4.27 because I use it quite a bit, now I've become accustomed to it
    and think I would miss it if we ever upgraded.

Why did they drop it? Maybe ShopBot thought it was un-necessary, given how bullet-proof the motors are?

but it sure helps...

To add to Bradys tips, if you decide to use the second method, if you have a digital camera it might be a good idea to take a pic of where the carriage and router is relative to your piece so that you can manually move the router to the vicinity before you restart file as you stand the chance of ruining the piece if you restart it from the 0,0 position (don't recall if that was said)

David...
    I am sure that you may have to balance the costs of few Kw of power to keep the machine positioned overnite against what you ruin the first time you try it.

My experience goes back to our shop in the FL Keys where summertime temps were over 90 in the shop in the AM before the sun got a chance to bake everything. In some cases had to keep fans on our Alpha box, door open to keep it from overheating.

The MO works on the old software, but will be no better than turning off the control box. Either way you lose position. The current drivers cannot have the power turned off to them.
    Gary Campbell
    ShopBot Orphan (No PM's)
    GCnC411(at)gmail(dot)com
    http://www.youtube.com/user/Islaww1
    www.cncseminars.com

Quote Originally Posted by garyc View Post
    David...
    I am sure that you may have to balance the costs of few Kw of power to keep the machine positioned overnite against what you ruin the first time you try it.
    X2...

The cost of leaving before the job is done...
    The cost of ruining the part because you turned it off...
    The cost of electric because you left it on...

EVERYTHING has a cost.

Welcome to Earth, my friend!

-B
    High Definition 3D Laser Scanning Services - Advanced ShopBot CNC Training and Consultation - Vectric Custom Video Training IBILD.com