My first CNC machine and my first post! This forum has been a treasure trove of learning!

Teaching in a middle school and had a donation that allowed me to purchase a Shopbot Desktop unit. Loving the learning process and impressed with the capabilities but I need some advice for set up-(photos would help).

I am specifically interested in ways to secure stock. I currently have a spoilboard attached to the T-slots and have surfaced that so that with the table surface utility. The only hold down method I have used so far is screws in the scrap area and have yet to add any sacrificial material beyond the surfaced spoilboard but I have also not cut all the way through any material yet. Does anyone have their Desktop set up in a way that seems to work well? Photos? Wooden Marvels guy seems to use his Desktop efficiently, are you here?

I would like the ability to engrave on anodized aluminum blanks, like dogtags, but not sure the best clamping method. A jig with a surface that will accept tape? I have not even tried engraving yet, mostly V-carve stuff.

I did the Bullshead sign from the Vectric tutorials and it turned out great! I did the open sign but flubbed it up twice. The first time I accidentally turned off the machine when I was watching it carve and then it was out of alignment and the second one was fine until the very end when the end mill drilled one mounting hole then did not raise to a safe z distance and put a trough right through the middle. I'm learning!

I am also looking for tips on what bits to get to augment the start up set and what to call that plastic that is two layers and typically used for indoor nameplates and such.

Thanks!