Thread: Y axis not moving

Default Y axis not moving

Hey guys... Im kinda at a loss... I just used my BOT the other day and it went home after it was done cutting and everything was cool. Today I went to move my Y axis out of the way and I can't get it to move. I unplugged the motor from the X axis and swapped them and the motor seems to be fine. I did notice with the motor laying on the table that it is trying to move a little bit. I checked the wiring at the connectors and they seem to be ok. There does seem to be kind of a snap of electricity when plugged in though..... Hope you guys can help I have a project I am suppose to have finished up by Thursday!!! Thanks for any help you can offer. Chris.

Chris,
    You need to tell us what model ShopBot you are running...there are many.

-B
    High Definition 3D Laser Scanning Services - Advanced ShopBot CNC Training and Consultation - Vectric Custom Video Training IBILD.com

you are NOT supposed to plug and unplug motors with the power on.
    Kenneth

Quote Originally Posted by LeapTime View Post
    There does seem to be kind of a snap of electricity when plugged in though.....
    Oh...Snap! I missed that part! Sounds like you wasted a driver. If this is a PRT 3G, you can swap the Y and A axes in SB3. Use the VD command and assign Y to channel 4 and A to channel 2. Otherwise...you might have to buy another driver.

While you're 'tinkering' - tidy up your wires. Slipshod wiring without proper strain relief etc causes more problems than anything else...and as you are finding, can be fatal on some tools.

-B
    High Definition 3D Laser Scanning Services - Advanced ShopBot CNC Training and Consultation - Vectric Custom Video Training IBILD.com

Brady, it's a PRS standard with 4G board... I swapped the plugs at the drivers and found that I can now move the Y axis by commanding the Z axis to move. Are these drivers going out pretty common? My wiring is really nice and neat as well...... Any other thoughts? sounds like I do indeed have a bad driver.....
    What is the easiest way to get another one here to seattle really quick you think?

Brady, it's a PRS standard with 4G board... I swapped the plugs at the drivers and found that I can now move the Y axis by commanding the Z axis to move. Are these drivers going out pretty common? My wiring is really nice and neat as well...... Any other thoughts? sounds like I do indeed have a bad driver.....
    What is the easiest way to get another one here to seattle really quick you think?

SB will get you out a driver quick. They don't go out often as long as you don't break the rules in operation. You can also get one directly from Gecko but note that the SB drivers are customized so you are better off there.