Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: plans for my buddy table

Well, I am never happy with anything first off...

My 4 by 6 foot 1" thick MDF top has developed a small, but annoying curl upwards (about 1/16" off the rollers).

I have another plan... I will get a sheet of 10' long by 5' wide MDF by 3/4" thick. I will cut it in half and glue it up in thickness.

I am going to rig up some sort of ball bearing roller, that will be fastened to the inside of the Buddy aluminum channels, and push down on the top so the top is basically captured beyween the bed rollers, and the rollers I will install. I think a piece of milled steel angle along the edge will be better than running right on the MDF.

Then, after leveling off the top surface it should stay very flat.

Once my Buddy is in its permanent location (within a few weeks, I am getting some renovations to my shop to add another 185 sq feet just for it) I will get to work on the new table. For now and for what I am working on the existing table is OK.

More later when I get going on it...

AJC
    Last edited by Ajcoholic; 12-29-2012 at 09:54 PM.

Andrew,

I don't have my 4' x 6' table on yet, but this seems to work for my 4'x4' table.

4' x 1.5" square aluminum on either side.

Rik
    Attached Images Attached Images

Well, after some thinking (while I was working on some cabinet work this past week) I think I have a good idea.

I have some heavy duty aluminum track - I cut 4 pieces and bolted it to the inner sides of the Buddy's body. With the track running up and down.

Next, I am going to make a piece of material (thinking aluminum or steel but a good hardwood will be adequate) that will bolt with T bolts to these tracks, and this will allow an up and down adjustment, as well as getting it perfectly level to the power stick.

On the underside of this beam, I am using 3 fixed base casters to press down on the table, to hold it tight to the main rollers.

I will redo my aux table, instead of using a single piece of 1" mdf 4' by 6', I bought a 5' by 10' sheet of 3/4", and will cut it into half. The one 5' by 5' will get bolted to the power stick. The rest of the sheet I will cut into strips and fasten them to the 5' by 5' as well they will hold my aluminum T track.

I also have some 1/8" thick 1 1/2" by 1 1/2" angle that I will bolt onto the edges, and probably have the casters ride on the aluminum.

Once the rollers are perfectly leveled in respect to the power stick, the new mdf table bolted on, and then the upper rollers installed to keep the mdf tight to the main rollers - I can surface the top and the mdf should stay very flat. My current table started to slightly curl upwards (not much, maybe 1/16") but there is no way to bend it back down and keep it in place.

I am hoping to have this done next week. I had a new room built in my woodworking shop to house the Buddy. Just got it plastered today, I need to throw a coat of white paint on the walls and ceiling this weekend and get the electrician in on Monday to install the lighting and outlets, and I will be good to go.

Will take some pics when its done...

AJC

Here is my new table.

AJC

Nice job ~ Looks 1st class!

But...don't plan on keeping that configuration forever. I think you may find T-slots more of a pain to deal with than you 1st anticipated. Of course, there is no such thing as a 'wrong' hold down solution, so I don't want to come from that perspective. If I could encourage you - think in terms of versatility & being able to swap out different hold down methods to suit your needs as they change. One day, t-track and cam clamps may not do it...You may need to go to carpet tape...or vacuum...or screw/attach from underneath. Just keep that in mind as you begin to cut various things. I've found that 99% of the work on a CNC is figuring out how to hold stuff down. Everything else is pretty easy.

Looks like you're off to a great start already!

-B
    High Definition 3D Laser Scanning Services - Advanced ShopBot CNC Training and Consultation - Vectric Custom Video Training IBILD.com

Default learn from my mistake

I put off getting a dust collection system, which meant i had a mess to clean up after each project. No telling how many board feet of dust I inhaled. Anyhow when the daily headaches began I did a little research and realized what i was doing to myself. my dust collector has been a God send. The headaches are gone and the shop area is so much cleaner.

Quote Originally Posted by cowboy1296 View Post
    I put off getting a dust collection system, which meant i had a mess to clean up after each project. No telling how many board feet of dust I inhaled. Anyhow when the daily headaches began I did a little research and realized what i was doing to myself. my dust collector has been a God send. The headaches are gone and the shop area is so much cleaner.
    I have a very nice centrally located dust collector - I couldnt live without a near spotlessly clean work environment.

Quote Originally Posted by bradywatson View Post
    Nice job ~ Looks 1st class!

But...don't plan on keeping that configuration forever. I think you may find T-slots more of a pain to deal with than you 1st anticipated. Of course, there is no such thing as a 'wrong' hold down solution, so I don't want to come from that perspective. If I could encourage you - think in terms of versatility & being able to swap out different hold down methods to suit your needs as they change. One day, t-track and cam clamps may not do it...You may need to go to carpet tape...or vacuum...or screw/attach from underneath. Just keep that in mind as you begin to cut various things. I've found that 99% of the work on a CNC is figuring out how to hold stuff down. Everything else is pretty easy.

Looks like you're off to a great start already!

-B
    Brady,
    I understand there is no "one" correct way. This is a start - just to get machining. Ideally, I will more than likely invest at a later date in a decent vacuum system, and try that.

When I did cnc machining back in college, in the early 1990's, we used vacuum, clamps, tape, etc to do various work. Most of what I want to do right now, I think the clamps or screwing to the board will do fine. But, after I get a little $$ back into the bank I'd like to investigate a good quality vacuum system.

I read pretty much everything you guys write - so trust me I am learning a lot!

AJC

I'm about 2 weeks away from receiving my Buddy and have been following the forum daily.
    I'm working on my table top and really like Russ and Andrew's setup.
    I was thinking of using these clamps from amazon http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=ATVPDKIKX0DER
    and was wondering if anyone has used these and if they are any good.
    My thinking is they may work well with hold down clamps, especially on larger pieces.

Mike Kelly
    Moose Jaw, Sask

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Kelly View Post
    I'm about 2 weeks away from receiving my Buddy and have been following the forum daily.
    I'm working on my table top and really like Russ and Andrew's setup.
    I was thinking of using these clamps from amazon http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=ATVPDKIKX0DER
    and was wondering if anyone has used these and if they are any good.
    My thinking is they may work well with hold down clamps, especially on larger pieces.

Mike Kelly
    Moose Jaw, Sask
    Mike,
    I was looking at something similar - but those clamps are made for fitting into tracks much larger than what I am using (like the track in a table saw)

I am planning to make some similar functioning clamps to fit my aluminum T tracks - when I get a chance.

As for the new table, it seems to be working really well. Staying flat and the casters I added hold the top tight to the rollers on the Buddy table.

You are going to love your machine... I am having a blast thinking of things to make, and ways to improve what I already do make.

AJC