Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Modify C2 Command

Default Modify C2 Command

I would like to change the C2 command to end with the height of the Z axis to be 2.5" so that I can replace my dust collector back on without having to raise the Z axis.

The C2 command will pull back by the amount you have the Safe Z Pullup set to in your VC settings.

Be aware it's an amount back from where the zero is rather than an absolute value so if you have limited Z movement (shouldn't be a problem on a Buddy but would be on a desktop) it could top out with a longer bit.

I added another sensor to the top of my Z axis and modified the C2 routine to pull up until that sensor was hit.
    The answers to a lot of questions can be found at http://www.shopbottools.com/ShopBotDocs/ or http://support.vectric.com/

Adrian, Would you mind posting that upper prox routine. Dana steered me to the original post (Thanks Dana), but it was in a thread I would not normally find in a search. Others might find useful if the title had keywords in it. I know there are others like me that have a hard time comprehending code and we're learning but still very nervous. It would be very useful to Desktoppers. Totally understand if you don't. Thanks for all the help to people.
    scott P.
    2013 Desktop/spindle/VCP 11.5**
    Maine

Thanks Adrian for your reply.

If you don't want your safe z to always be that height, it would be better to hard code it in the zzero.sbp file. Any time you or a file issues a JH, it will also retract to the safe z setting before jogging home.

The current SB3 release C2/zzero routine has the capability to raise to a prox switch on the z axis and back off the prox by 0.125 built in. It does however need to be enabled by rerunning set up or doing it manually. It also saves the offset for the last zeroed tool so that you can return to it upon shutdown/restart. One caveat, I've found some errors in the file/implementation of it that haven't been addressed yet. I've fixed it for myself, but it would get a bit lengthy to explain at the moment.
    Scott

Scott, I just reinstalled 3.8.14 a couple days ago. Our Desktops were both given additional X,Y,Z prox's. Gordon wired the additionals in series(I forget the input he used, and machine is shut down at the moment). I do know I have to change the switch settings from the defaults to use them.
    How do I enable that feature(In Baby talk please)?
    Does the fact that they are wired in series matter?
    Your Caveat; Does that apply to the touch sensor/retract .125" or the remember last bit OR both.
    Just to clue you in, I don't know whether to use a 16oz claw or a 20oz straight to make a volt pay attention.
    Thanks
    scott P.
    Maine

Scott,

If your Z prox is wired up properly, I would think that it would be (should be) on input #5. If you go to Values Input/Output (VN), make sure that input #5 is set to Nrm Closed Limit. Ok out of that. The input indicators for 2, 3, and 5 on the position window should appear the same for each one (if off the proxes). At that point, you should be able to raise the Z axis up until it hits the prox and all the input lights should go out (just the same as if you moved X and Y onto the proxes). If it doesn't and you hit the hard stop, then the prox is likely on a different input #.

Once you know that the Z prox works, you can run setup again with TS. On the second page, you should have a check mark in the first three under 'Do you have any of the following accessories'. Don't change any of your settings as you go 'Next-Next' until done. Now, here's the first issue I saw on my machine, the setup didn't write the needed info to the my_variables.sbc file and I had to manually enter it. Check this out by going to C:\SbParts\Custom and opening the my_variables.sbc file in an editor and look to see if this line is present '&my_hasZProx = 1'. If it is, good. If it isn't, add it after the 'These values are used in the ZZero routine' line (doesn't really matter where). Save it if you did have to add it.

At this point, you should be able to run the zzero routine with C2 and if you are using the standard, unedited zzero.sbp file, the tool should zero to the plate as normal and then pull up until the Z prox is hit and then back off (down) 0.125". The offset distance from Z zero to the prox has been saved. Upon machine shutdown/startup, if you do a C3 to home the machine, it will also ask if you want to reset the Z axis to the last Z zero measurement.

The other issues I found were in the files for C2 and C3, but they may have updated these and re-released them by just updating the current version. Although, I see one that hasn't been changed and it may not bother with the desktop. Since I have an 8" Z axis, there was a value that didn't command enough travel to hit the prox if I started zeroing at a certain height off the table. It took quit a while before I figured out that a given negative times another given negative in the routine wasn't giving a large enough positive to allow enough travel for an 8" Z. It looks like the C3 file still has the issue where if you answer that you don't want to reset the Z, it goes through the motion of finding the z prox anyway, when it should just go to safe Z and home the X and Y as normal. Some more editing of the file fixed that too.

The original files may work just fine for you without any changes. For me, one needed to be fixed to operate with the larger Z travel and the other just didn't run the way I wanted it to.
    Scott

Quote Originally Posted by scottp55 View Post
    Adrian, Would you mind posting that upper prox routine. Dana steered me to the original post (Thanks Dana), but it was in a thread I would not normally find in a search. Others might find useful if the title had keywords in it. I know there are others like me that have a hard time comprehending code and we're learning but still very nervous. It would be very useful to Desktoppers. Totally understand if you don't. Thanks for all the help to people.
    Here's the routine I use. It's a standalone that is called from the end of the two different C2's I use. Note that it's hard coded for metric as that's all I use so the values would need changing for imperial.

My upper Z switch is on input 5 and is the other way around from a normal PRS switch in that it goes off when contact is made rather than on.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    The answers to a lot of questions can be found at http://www.shopbottools.com/ShopBotDocs/ or http://support.vectric.com/

Thank you Adrian and Scott!! Will check out after I've looked at them and saved to thumbdrive. Will try as soon as fully caffeinated. Interested to see how Gordon wired the switches as another Desktop in Texas who followed my advice on extra factory prox's may be interested in it as well as Kirks Desktop. I appreciate the effort you guys took.
    scott P.
    Maine

Started Desktop and took a couple of VN settings pics. UR'd my laptop to factory settings for Desktop and on these settings which is how they ship a "Normal" Desktop, the additional prox's for X,24--Y,18--and Z Top do not work. Settings on "Functioning" are changed as per Nate and Gordon at Shopbot.
    Does this change advice?
    Wanted to post pics before I started messing around. Pics are labelled as to what they are showing.
    Thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images
    scott P.
    Maine