Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: plans for my buddy table

Hybrid View

Default plans for my buddy table

My buddy will be here next week. I am planning to keep things simple at at first (might go vacuum later on) so I am making my working table from 1" MDF, into which I am going to set in aluminum extruded T channel ever 6 or 8 inches.

The channel is this style: http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/pag...455,61994&ap=1

The "double T" track. I am going to dado 1/2" deep grooves, and then router the slot for the wings. Slide in the aluminum channel, and that will leave me 1/8" of MDF above the tracks so I can cut into the table to clean through material and not hit the tracks.

Using Inca aluminum clamps to hold down pieces - the clamps can go anywhere in the tracks.

AJC

Should make for a nice table Andrew. You must be going nuts this weekend waiting. I remember waiting for mine. Here is a link to some cam clamps that should work in your t-tracks as well. These are nice as they don't become a issue for the router as far as safe z height. I didn't but t-tracks in mine when I put it together and regret it. Now it is hard to take time to redo table or add them in....should though. Post pics of your progress.
    http://welcometothesandbox.com/
    David Buchsbaum is also a great guy and very talented cabinet maker.
    Have a great family day.

Quote Originally Posted by glenner View Post
    Should make for a nice table Andrew. You must be going nuts this weekend waiting. I remember waiting for mine. Here is a link to some cam clamps that should work in your t-tracks as well. These are nice as they don't become a issue for the router as far as safe z height. I didn't but t-tracks in mine when I put it together and regret it. Now it is hard to take time to redo table or add them in....should though. Post pics of your progress.
    http://welcometothesandbox.com/
    David Buchsbaum is also a great guy and very talented cabinet maker.
    Have a great family day.
    This weekend went by quickly, I was actually out of town visiting my parents with my son (10 1/2 months old) who happens to be sick with a cold. He's been keeping me pretty busy as my wife had to work night shifts this weekend.

I think the machine is in Canada, as the firm who brokered it through Customs sent me the bill today. It is due to arrive Thursday...

I am so swamped at work, it is silly. I own and operate a custom furniture business - and currently I think I am about 4 to 6 months behind. Work keeps me on my toes! I am also trying to get ready for a home and trade show at the end of April. I am hoping to have some things off the Buddy to show off at the show

WHere in Ontario are you? I am in Timmins, a town of about 45,000 just about 3 1/2 hours drive North of North Bay, or 7 or so driving North of Toronto.

I think this week will be interesting.. I am trying to finish one job tomorrow, start another large book case/built-ins job, finish up a kitchen and do some trim for another built-in job I installed last week. Oh yeah, I am going to have to make time to get my Buddy un crated and set in place.

AJC

Hi Andrew. Did ya get the buddy yet? I am located in a small town called Campbellford which is around 2 hours east of Toronto. You are probably around 9 hours from me as I would drive off the main highways till I got to Orillia area then go on 400. I think that is right...been long time since been too far north. I would love to see northern ontario and my wife and I are thinking about spending some summer holidays travelling up there with our camper. Wont be till kids are out of college as I have two going next year
    You can pm or email me to chat off the forum if you wish. Sound like you got quite a good business going up there. Have fun with your new buddy..

Quote Originally Posted by glenner View Post
    Hi Andrew. Did ya get the buddy yet? I am located in a small town called Campbellford which is around 2 hours east of Toronto. You are probably around 9 hours from me as I would drive off the main highways till I got to Orillia area then go on 400. I think that is right...been long time since been too far north. I would love to see northern ontario and my wife and I are thinking about spending some summer holidays travelling up there with our camper. Wont be till kids are out of college as I have two going next year
    You can pm or email me to chat off the forum if you wish. Sound like you got quite a good business going up there. Have fun with your new buddy..
    Just got it today! I just might be your way sometime in the future... a good friend of mine moved recently from Toronto to somewhere just off the 401, about 1 1/2 hours east of Toronto. Will try and visit him this summer. If I get there will look you up!

AJC

Make sure you post some pics of your setup with the buddy. Look me up for sure when down this way. Sounds like you friend is really close to me. I am just 20 minutes north of 401 when you exit at Brighton.

Hi Andrew

Have finally bitten the bullet and about to start building table edge pressure rollers. Totally agree with almost all your logic but would love to hear your reasoning for gluing two chunks of 3/4 together. We can get 32mm MR here at reasonable cost. Could you share your thoughts on this before I buy some tomorrow please if possible. Did you go the glue system because of your tracks and the strip idea? Got some superb ball bearing rollers from Chrissy and I reckon these could well see me out!

How have you faired with regards to clamp collisions. We waste a lot of time keeping Z too high. Probably due to lack of confidence!
    Buddy BT48 with 6' power stick
    2.2 HSD Spindle
    Aspire 9.5
    6" ShopBot Indexer

Update on the table..

Firstly, sometime a few months ago I replaced the cheap hardware store casters for my hold down, to polyurethane/ball bearing "scooter" wheels. These are basically like oversize roller-blade wheels. Much smoother and no squeaks.

Next, after a year of use on the table I made this time of year a year ago - and some resurfacing - the MDF started getting thin over the aluminum tracks and was lifting up when I tightened the hold downs.

Rather than replace the entire top - I decided to try something new. I took some 6mm Baltic Birch - and cut it into 5" strips (the width of the table between tracks) and glued it down and tacked it with some plastic brads. I resurfaced the table this morning as I was running a bunch of cabinet gables and shlef pin holes - and found the BB much less "slippery" than MDF and the pressure needed to clamp was much less to avoid slipping. Also, the strength is amazingly strong when clamping and no flexing up of the T tracks occurs.

Time will tell if the BB ont the MDF will cause curling issues, etc.

Pics later..

AJC

Here are the new hold down rollers

and the Baltic birch strips glued onto the MDF

I find the BB much less "slippery" than the MDF and less clamping pressure is required to hold parts from moving.

A million thanks for all your research and trials you did on table improvements Andrew. Thanks to you our Buddy is far more accurate. On the new wheels others might be interested to know that Rockler have "ball bearing jig wheels" urethane tyres, 2 3/8 OD, 3/4 thick, and 5/16 centre hole (perfect for this application!). On special at present for $9.99 for 4 pak! Pn 48613 - page 43 in January catalogue. Oddly these DONT show up on the website???? Your new birch idea is a good one I reckon and better than messing with loose sheets and simplifies using guides when needed.
    Buddy BT48 with 6' power stick
    2.2 HSD Spindle
    Aspire 9.5
    6" ShopBot Indexer