Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: plans for my buddy table

Default plans for my buddy table

My buddy will be here next week. I am planning to keep things simple at at first (might go vacuum later on) so I am making my working table from 1" MDF, into which I am going to set in aluminum extruded T channel ever 6 or 8 inches.

The channel is this style: http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/pag...455,61994&ap=1

The "double T" track. I am going to dado 1/2" deep grooves, and then router the slot for the wings. Slide in the aluminum channel, and that will leave me 1/8" of MDF above the tracks so I can cut into the table to clean through material and not hit the tracks.

Using Inca aluminum clamps to hold down pieces - the clamps can go anywhere in the tracks.

AJC

Should make for a nice table Andrew. You must be going nuts this weekend waiting. I remember waiting for mine. Here is a link to some cam clamps that should work in your t-tracks as well. These are nice as they don't become a issue for the router as far as safe z height. I didn't but t-tracks in mine when I put it together and regret it. Now it is hard to take time to redo table or add them in....should though. Post pics of your progress.
    http://welcometothesandbox.com/
    David Buchsbaum is also a great guy and very talented cabinet maker.
    Have a great family day.

Quote Originally Posted by glenner View Post
    Should make for a nice table Andrew. You must be going nuts this weekend waiting. I remember waiting for mine. Here is a link to some cam clamps that should work in your t-tracks as well. These are nice as they don't become a issue for the router as far as safe z height. I didn't but t-tracks in mine when I put it together and regret it. Now it is hard to take time to redo table or add them in....should though. Post pics of your progress.
    http://welcometothesandbox.com/
    David Buchsbaum is also a great guy and very talented cabinet maker.
    Have a great family day.
    This weekend went by quickly, I was actually out of town visiting my parents with my son (10 1/2 months old) who happens to be sick with a cold. He's been keeping me pretty busy as my wife had to work night shifts this weekend.

I think the machine is in Canada, as the firm who brokered it through Customs sent me the bill today. It is due to arrive Thursday...

I am so swamped at work, it is silly. I own and operate a custom furniture business - and currently I think I am about 4 to 6 months behind. Work keeps me on my toes! I am also trying to get ready for a home and trade show at the end of April. I am hoping to have some things off the Buddy to show off at the show

WHere in Ontario are you? I am in Timmins, a town of about 45,000 just about 3 1/2 hours drive North of North Bay, or 7 or so driving North of Toronto.

I think this week will be interesting.. I am trying to finish one job tomorrow, start another large book case/built-ins job, finish up a kitchen and do some trim for another built-in job I installed last week. Oh yeah, I am going to have to make time to get my Buddy un crated and set in place.

AJC

Hi Andrew. Did ya get the buddy yet? I am located in a small town called Campbellford which is around 2 hours east of Toronto. You are probably around 9 hours from me as I would drive off the main highways till I got to Orillia area then go on 400. I think that is right...been long time since been too far north. I would love to see northern ontario and my wife and I are thinking about spending some summer holidays travelling up there with our camper. Wont be till kids are out of college as I have two going next year
    You can pm or email me to chat off the forum if you wish. Sound like you got quite a good business going up there. Have fun with your new buddy..

Hi Andrew. Did ya get the buddy yet? I am located in a small town called Campbellford which is around 2 hours east of Toronto. You are probably around 9 hours from me as I would drive off the main highways till I got to Orillia area then go on 400. I think that is right...been long time since been too far north. I would love to see northern ontario and my wife and I are thinking about spending some summer holidays travelling up there with our camper. Wont be till kids are out of college as I have two going next year
    You can pm or email me to chat off the forum if you wish. Sound like you got quite a good business going up there. Have fun with your new buddy..
    Just got it today! I just might be your way sometime in the future... a good friend of mine moved recently from Toronto to somewhere just off the 401, about 1 1/2 hours east of Toronto. Will try and visit him this summer. If I get there will look you up!

AJC

Make sure you post some pics of your setup with the buddy. Look me up for sure when down this way. Sounds like you friend is really close to me. I am just 20 minutes north of 401 when you exit at Brighton.

I use the track on my 48x96 but the process is the same. I have a base board with the track mounted to the base board then seperate pieces glued to the base board in between the tracks. Fianlly another layer of seperate pieces that become my spoilboard. After many surfacings I just replace the final layer and get a 'new' spoilboard. Russ

And down the side I have an extra set of tracks to hold full sheets.

Make sure you post some pics of your setup with the buddy. Look me up for sure when down this way. Sounds like you friend is really close to me. I am just 20 minutes north of 401 when you exit at Brighton.
    Well, he is in Brighton, so that is close! I may be doing an entertainment unit for his new home, and bringing it down. Otherwise will try for a visit anyhow.

Russ your table looks very versatile... nice!

AJC

Here is my table, got it made up today. I used a 48" by 72" piece of 1" thick MDF. Grooved it to accept the channels and attached to the powerstick...

The Incra clamps work well, lots of pressure.

Looks good Andrew. I see you have dug right in to cutting parts. Good stuff. Hope to met you someday. Would love to get up your way someday.