Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Instructions

, Friday Harbor, San Juan Islands Washington

Default Instructions

I have downloaded the new 2.5 version of Aspire and I obviously have the ShopBot programs but I am really confused as to how to wrap a design around something round or down a cylinder. Where can I read some basic instructions how to use the programs so I can wrap something. I am tired of the trial and error routine that I have been using. I am just learning some I am looking for simple instructions.

Daryl I don't know about these programs but the "concept" you need to understand in order to make this work is this.

Lets say you have a 5" diameter column. You need to figure out what the circumference of the outside is (see free circumference calculator post above) doing it manually you multiply your diameter by 3.14.

Now take that figure 5"x3.14=15.70
    now make your new model 15.7"x (your length) and you resize your carving to fit the 15.7 shape

The whole idea is you have to imagine taking your column and "unrolling" it flat then fit your model to that flat model.

Just as if you were making a flat model on your table.
    There are probably more detailed instructions with your specific program and if someone knows a link for the specific tutorial you might want to post it for him.

Jack I completely understand what you are saying. Trouble is the screen really does, in my opinion, a poor job of showing it. What if a person wants to make a spiral with a picture or lettering? what do you do then?? I would really like to have something written so I could understand it easier. I just need to see it in writing. The following link in this message, Ive seen multiple times and it briefly shows what to do. I can't get to one of the screens shown in the Aspire link so that confuses me even more!

Well since i don't have this pgm I can't tell you specifically what to do but i recall a post in the other forum where someone figured out a way to get a visual representation of your rotary path.
    Here is the link:
    http://www.vectric.com/forum/viewtop...=38&t=7189
    Not sure if that gets you any further or not.

Jack, that is the most informative I have seen. Thanks and I will have to study it. Hope I can retain it!!!!!

Thats what they invented bookmarks for!

Daryl,
    I'm trying to put together a basic tutorial on rotary machining -- web, printable manual, and video. I'd like to make sure I cover areas that are a problem for people new to rotary. I figure if you and I could e-mail back and forth this would help in building a tutorial. The spam filter on my business account is a bit too agressive so could you send me a message at my gmail.com account? I'm rcnewcomb on gmail.

Hope to hear from you, or any others for that matter, regarding the best way to put together a tutorial on rotary machining.

randall, i was working with the indexer tonight and realized how quick i can for get this stuff, willing to help we need this

jim mcgrew

A while back Von Rarela (switch R&V since he was banished we can't even say his name here...geez) put a TON of work into a indexer cookbook that may help some of you. I think it pertained to artcam and partworks and other programs however I can see how you could apply the same techniques to other programs. I think i have amassed a lot of info also.