Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hmmm... Some Basic 4th axis work --- Not that good but enough for my Training

Default Hmmm... Some Basic 4th axis work --- Not that good but enough for my Training

After long long time since built of my Indexer, Today I worked on my 4th axis... Did some flutes and Vcarving on scrap wood ... Seems good.. hope i will do some ropes soon;)

38296.jpg

38297.jpg

khalid
    You could take this same toolpath and using a rope spiraling bit could turn it into this pretty easy.

38303.jpg

Jack...Thanks for the post and good information... I will try to custom make this tool...

Jack--

Where did you obtain your rope spiraling bit(s)?

Khalid, no need to custom make any tools.

John go to:
    http://magnate.net/index.cfm?event=s...y&theID=24

http://magnate.net/index.cfm?event=s...&theID=106

http://magnate.net/index.cfm?event=s...&theID=116

others have complained about magnate bits and my experience is mixed but I don't know of other places to get these types of bits.

Jack, what kind of complaints have others posted?

Form Tooling is kind of a niche market, this is why you can't find them.

To keep their costs down Magnate puts the profile on a blank carbide blade and silver solders it to the tool body. This is a normal.
    But sometimes when conditions are right the silver solder may not hold, or make the carbide more brittle.

Making form tooling like that out of solid carbide is very expensive, But if I was going to try something I'd have South East Tools or Whiteside alter their 120° and put the inside radius on. Probably last longer and it'll be a beefier tool. ( I prefer South East Tools )

Don,
    I tried looking for a picture i had of one of my bits i sent to magnate to show you a problem i had but couldn't find it. Anyway what i saw was the carbide seemed to chip at the top of the tool not really in a place where it met the material and they replaced it. It only happened once and i never dropped this bit. Other than that they have been ok for me.

When they get those carbide blanks in, they come in a box packed back to front. Sometimes with paper between each one. One could have been dropped when handling or when they're grinding the form.
    There could have been a crack on the backside and went unnoticed.
    They look like they have a good product, I have them booked marked will have to try them out.

I think I have to Profile the part on lathe to the exact contour.. For this I will CNC cut the template on the router and give it to the Lathe Boy...

After getting the finish part, i will make some Vectors and use FEATURE MACHINING operation for the barley twist or any other v-carving on non-cylindrical shape/profile..

P.S:
    The second option is to make the relief and cut it through the indexer..it will take longer time, multipassess...

khalid,

Maybe i don't exactly understand but it sounds like you are saying you have to carve this with a long toolpath.
    I can cut this barley twist or spiral toolpaths in less than 2 minutes. For an example to show you go to:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jSy8PGj2eDU

If you would like me to make a toolpath for you to try email me and i can make you something.