Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hmmm... Some Basic 4th axis work --- Not that good but enough for my Training

The barley twist on straight cylinder can be cut in less than 2 minutes...I agreed...but if i want to make the barley twist on irregular shape (tapered and curved cylinder) it will take hours..

It will take hours because i will have to first relief carve the shape by multipassess with smaller tool say 1/8" ball nose tool ..This will take a lot of time...

Then I will use the barley twist tool and Feature Machine The twist in less than 02 minutes... I will use Artcam for that purpose...

Sorry..Jack I am running two threads at a time so confusion happened here

In other thread the discussion carrying regarding some different profile machining..

Jack--

I finally got around to ordering a set of the Magnate bits you indicated above, but haven't had the time to try them out yet. Do you have any recommendations for chip load/rpm's, step down, and move speeds?

Also, am I correct in thinking that a 2" bit (for example) would need to move 2" per 360° for a single rope spiral and 4"/360° for a pair of rope spirals?

Any tips from your experiences would be most welcome.

Hey Jack & Khalid, I do not have a 4th axis but I do have a legacy and agree with Jack. Legacy as made their mark with spiral/tilt table turning machines and now is offering a rather expensive CNC based adaption.
    The folks at Magnate and legacy have the right dialog for that type of work and plunge bits.
    So compared to a tiny 3D style profile to accomplish a profile, the combination of plunge bits, CNC, and turning, looks like a good combination.
    Wish I had an indexer set up on the bot. Maybe soon?.

Jerry...You can see my INDEXER work in INDEXER CATOGARY of Shopbot Forum... My indexer is very very very simple... I just practice on it and it gives me quality work..

John Ervin email me off forum and give me specific measurements of your part and bit and I can make you some spiral files that should take about 1 minute to cut. This way you can see speeds, cut depth ect.