Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Weight of a 4x8 PRT ShopBot

Default Weight of a 4x8 PRT ShopBot

I am going to be moving my ShopBot out of the garage to my new shop the end of next month. Does anyone know the approx weight of the table with the top gantry removed? The frame was built exactly to ShopBot's specs and I have 2- 4x8 sheet of MDF as my table top. I am trying to figure out if I can move the table in one piece. Has anyone moved theirs in one piece? Did you use jacks to lift it up? Or how many guys would it take to lift it up?
    Any advise on how someone moved theirs in one piece would be appreciated.

Dave

Here's one, of many, posts found using the search engine above...
    http://www.talkshopbot.com/forum/sho...=trailer+jacks
    "Share your knowledge. It is a way to achieve immortality"...The Dalai Lama

"Nothing is really work unless you would rather be doing something else....." Sir James Barrie

Thanks Bill. Just what I was looking for. I am on the right track now.

My 60x120 PRT was loaded on my one ton trailer and it was about over loaded. This is with a three layer, full coverage spoilboard out of 1"mdf and 3/4" ply.

Just moved a 5 x 10 PRS Alpha in one piece... and a 4 x 8 PRS Standard in January. I take off the gantry - as you are discussing... but it really is not that difficult. You need the services of 4 strong young men and a pallet jack to do it easily (IMO) or Bills post on the jacks--- or somethinng along those lines... but it is "easily" done

When you move a full size tool (4x4 or larger) be sure to remove the gantry (and X motors - PRT only), clock the whole deal 90 degrees and strap it to the table. It may be necessary to put 4x4s on the spoilboard to get the gantry up high enough (PRT) to protect the nose of the router or spindle. You run the risk of damaging the rails, v-rollers or both if you don't.

Plastic twine is good for securing any lose hardware or motors. Try to lock in anything that will move with the plastic twine (the saran wrap stuff...on a steek) - this includes the Y & Z axes. Also, secure the control box to the table as well. You can block it in on a PRT right in the gantry with a few 21" 2x4s or screw into spoilboard if you have a PRS.

When you get the machine to it's new location, level it up right away. Be sure to then crank down the locking nut on the feet, as this really adds to the table stability. If the table is not level, the gantry will not ride correctly on the rails and you'll scratch your head wondering why one wheel of the gantry sits up, when it didn't before you disassembled it.

-B
    High Definition 3D Laser Scanning Services - Advanced ShopBot CNC Training and Consultation - Vectric Custom Video Training IBILD.com

Moved my 4 x 8 with a steel table a few times. Clamped down the gantry so it didn't roll around, got a forklift with extended forks, and picked it up from the end and loaded it right into the truck (16' box van). Even when I didn't own a forkilift borrowing or renting one made it so easy that the amount of time and effort to manhandle the whole thing by hand just wasn't worth it. When set up at the new site each time all I had to do was re-level it for the floor and plug it in.

You said from garage to shop how far is that. I have put those small 3 wheel casters that you can get from Harbor freight under mine and just roll it around.

The move will be 5 miles. After seeing Bill's idea on wheels I like that. I was thinking I may get some heavy casters and screw them into the bottom leveling nuts of the table legs. When I get it to the new shop and roll it in, maybe I will leave it on wheels kind of like a 4x8 buddy?

I wish I had access to a forklift like Dave R. said. That would make it real nice. I thought I had a trailer to use, but turns out the trailer I was gonna borrow that was big enough and heavy duty enough is older and has that expanded or perforated metal bottom to it instead of wooden plank bottom.I am going to stop by a friend of mines cabinet shop today who has a Hugh closed trailer that is wide open and the back is low to the ground. Maybe that will work. I have 2 weeks to gets the wheels, trailer and the rest of the misc small stuff moved out of the garage before the bot rolls to its new home.

I was going to disconnect all the wires out of the control box and separate the top gantry entirely, but the way Brady explained removing and strapping it down sounds like a winner to me.

Finally got the oportunity and the equipment to move my Bot to the new shop. We borrowed a big open trailer, jacked up the bot. Bolted wheels to the legs. Used an electric winch to pull it on the trailer and ease it back off the trailer at the new location. Picture 5 looks like the frame is tweeked, but it wasnt. Must have been the picture angle I took. We litterally rolled it in. took the wheels back off, leveled it. Checked square, and were cutting shortly after that. This is the 4th time I have moved the bot and this was by far the easiest.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by David Iannone; 07-10-2012 at 08:26 PM.