Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: a few signs... it was inevitable!

Andrew - Let us know how your signs do at the trade show. I tried this at a local lake festival and had pretty poor results. I only sold two signs over the entire day.

Quote Originally Posted by blackhawk View Post
    Andrew - Let us know how your signs do at the trade show. I tried this at a local lake festival and had pretty poor results. I only sold two signs over the entire day.
    Well, remember I am not "pushing" the signs - my main business is custom furniture, cabinet/case goods and millwork. And, that will always be the case. I purchased the shopbot to assist me in my furniture. However, like any good businessman, I am always looking for ways to expand my product line and make a few extra $$'s...

I am makign a few signs for some local businesses, and a few friend's of mine who live on nearby lakes. Just to see if there is any referals. 100% of my business is by word of mouth and my customer's friends seeing the work, etc.

I will report back, for sure. It will be interesting to see what the feedback is.

Here is a sign I was fooling with for my mom and dad's place. I actually designed this in Aspire long before my machine arrived, but I just set it up to cut today.

1.5" African mahogany (khaya). About 16" long. Cut with an extended length 1/4" ball nose

AJC

"bring an extra dollar or two into my shop" Yeah I know what you mean. I got my machine for my retirement "toy". Then the word got out and so on the side I do 'some' signs. Nothing like Joe or any of the super-botters, but I made enough side money to pay for my machine, Aspire, and propane for the heater. So the bottomline is - It isn't what I got the Bot to do, but the extra cash keeps it running!

In the ShopBot postings have you seen the ones about doing inlays using the prismatic cuts loke your last sign? It is a very cool technique.

Please keep posting, I like your work. Russ

Quote Originally Posted by chiloquinruss View Post
    "bring an extra dollar or two into my shop" Yeah I know what you mean. I got my machine for my retirement "toy". Then the word got out and so on the side I do 'some' signs. Nothing like Joe or any of the super-botters, but I made enough side money to pay for my machine, Aspire, and propane for the heater. So the bottomline is - It isn't what I got the Bot to do, but the extra cash keeps it running!

In the ShopBot postings have you seen the ones about doing inlays using the prismatic cuts loke your last sign? It is a very cool technique.

Please keep posting, I like your work. Russ
    Russ, I have seen that technique, and also in a past issue of "American Woodworker" which seems to showcase some cnc stuff each issue... never had any time to try it but I am sure I will.

Thanks for the compliment - I appreciate it!

AJC

Quote Originally Posted by Ajcoholic View Post
    This one I just was fooling with Aspire, trying to create a 3D domed shape on an ellipse.

Also 1.4" depth, about 38" by 12"

I will paint this up, but will cut out the ellipse and mount it onto another board I plan to make up. A work in progress...

It is hard to see the 3D shape on the computer. Looks pretty cool in real life.

AJC

PS I had a chip in the "I" so I glued a piece of pine and reshaped it by hand
    Today I made a sign incorporating the above 3D oval I made. It is from a 38" by 28" plank of 4/4 white pine (1&2 common grade, nothing fancy).

Just painted the letters black, and stained/glazed the wood. Will give it 3 or 4 coats of clear lacquer.

Remember I am no sign man, yet But I am trying to learn!

Is it Al or Joe? I like the different elements in your sign showing the vcarving and the relief carving. I also like the hand rubbed finish. I looks like you purposely did not go into every nook and corner to rub it out. I bet if you put that out in the sun it will look like its been around for a hundred years.

I like your finish alot, good work!

Quote Originally Posted by myxpykalix View Post
    Is it Al or Joe? I like the different elements in your sign showing the vcarving and the relief carving. I also like the hand rubbed finish. I looks like you purposely did not go into every nook and corner to rub it out. I bet if you put that out in the sun it will look like its been around for a hundred years.

I like your finish alot, good work!
    Jack,
    I wanted the sign to look like a furniture finish... when it gets sprayed the colours will look even sharper.

My company is named after my father, Joe. We incorporated back in the 1970s and when I took over, I kept the same name. My name is Andrew, glad to say there are no "Al's" in the Coholic family... No one has THAT mean a sense of humor!

My son is named Joe (Joseph) after my dad. Maybe some day he'll take over.. who knows!

AJC

Andrew,
    Don't you think that was a subliminal "jab" at you...although thats probably not the first time you heard that i'm sure

If your boy is only 1 now you have plenty time to give him a sawdust transfusion so he gets the urge to want to work in the shop. I started adding sawdust to my sons babyfood so he would get the taste for woodworking

One thing you can say about Joe is, he seems to have taught you well!

btw if the son grows up to take over the business he won't have to change the name!

Andrew

Congrats on your sign work. You've definantely developed the technical skills. Now, it seems to me, you are into the fun part which is creative design. If I could make a suggestion, you could use your name as a signature. Much like the Eddie Bauer branding.

Joe Crumley

fooling more with the 3D stuff... its very neat!