Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Edge lit Plexi

Curtis,

Cast acrylic.

30 degree v bit (amana plexi engraving) cut the circles on the back,
    1/8 aluminium mill from a local machine shop, with a wide area clear 3/8ths same source. For whatever reason, they worked well. I had horrible, throw hammers across the shop problems with extruded, meaning in about the 4th hour of milling, the bit would wrap up and ruin the piece. Once I switched to cast, it went smoothly.

As far as the light source, I am pretty sure that it is a high output led, but I am not assembling this one, just milled the plex and the frame.
    And this is the one in my office, Brady. Its two pieces of plex 3/8 thick face to face but lit with two separate strips of led to get two different colors.
    David
    Attached Images Attached Images

Love that!!
    Have you got any pictures with the frames painted up?
    I hope you don't mind if a bunch of us start to copy that idea because I think there's going to be a few...

Really fantastic work.

Now that I like. I had never thought of doing two pieces together with different light sources, very clever indeed.

Holy ****, now that I NEED for my secret bunker/mad scientist's lair.

Thanks for the fabrication details, might have to try my hand at some of those. If you can get any details on the light source, please share.

Nice work.
    Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

Perhaps there will be more photos later. As I said, I milled it, the designer is assembling and finishing.

As to the lighting details, I have been using http://www.elementalled.com/
    out of Emoryville CA, its close and they are very helpful. I use they High output leds for lithophanes.

D

Quote Originally Posted by feinddj View Post
    I had horrible, throw hammers across the shop problems with extruded, meaning in about the 4th hour of milling, the bit would wrap up and ruin the piece. Once I switched to cast, it went smoothly.
    STOP!.... (Hammer time)

I hear ya on the extruded - just a pain to deal with! I had a customer bring me a piece of extruded that had to be drilled for 'LiteBrite' pegs for a building site layout. Only constant vigilance kept more than one hole from getting bird nested and brillo'ed. After every drill hole the bit had to be cleaned off. Cast is always the way to go for something like this.

Great job again & thanks for posting pics!

-B
    High Definition 3D Laser Scanning Services - Advanced ShopBot CNC Training and Consultation - Vectric Custom Video Training IBILD.com

Default the going rate ?

So the going rate on the 4 x 8 ft ? cast acrylic world map with frame and lights would be ??
    The decimal point seems to be the most important on the z axis... x & y not so much....
    ShopBot... Where even the scraps and things you mess up and throw away are cool....

David - Excellent! How deep did you cut the large areas with the endmills?

Default throw hammer

What is a throw hammer and where do you buy them ???
    The decimal point seems to be the most important on the z axis... x & y not so much....
    ShopBot... Where even the scraps and things you mess up and throw away are cool....

Brad, for the exact depth I'd have to check the files, no more than 3/32. The material is .25.

Throw hammers are available in my online store. comes complete with an aerodynamically balanced hammer, a target sticker to put on something breakable, and instructions on how to fix the window. Optional accessories include a clapper to tie onto the end of your throw hammer for easy location after you fix the window and crime scene tape, they shouldn't have been walking there anyway.

David