Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Patio Chair...

Default Patio Chair...

I enjoy watching my grandsons play baseball... I don't enjoy sitting on bleachers designed for people a tenth of my age. Last weekend I couldn't get out of the canvas and aluminum tube fold up camping style sling I'd been using. (Grrrrr...)

I had seen the fold-up wood patio chair in the "projects ready to go" section of the SB web site, and was intrigued. I don't know who's design the chair is, but it is well thought out and pleasing to look at. However, I wanted MY chair to be lightweight as I have to carry it from the parking lot to the diamond. The plans call for 3/4" exterior plywood... I didn't feel bad about substituting 1/2" Baltic birch for the legs. I suspect that the 1/2" BB is stronger than 3/4" exterior ply any day! I wasn't sure about my plan to substitute 1/4" BB for the 3/4" slats however... The 1/4" slats made it so that the tenons came through... that's OK if you consider it a design feature!

The 1/4" slats turned out to be VERY comfortable! They act like springs and mold to my back and butt, for anyone not familiar with Baltic Birch, Don't equate it with U.S. products. If I'd used H D 1/4" material, I'd be on the ground in a pile of rubble!

Version two will have the slats all radiused , the square corners are a little sharp.

SG
    Attached Images Attached Images

Very cool Steve. I think I will make me one for next years softball season at the high school where my daughter plays.
    Don
    Diamond Lake Custom Woodworks, LLC
    www.dlwoodworks.com
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty and well preserved piece; But to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out, bank accounts empty, credit cards maxed out, defiantly shouting "Geronimo"!

If you make something idiot proof, all they do is create a better idiot.

Miller Marine Products, Ridgefield Washington

Very nice chair Steve, It looks like you may need to extend the back or risk a neck strain. LOL

Mike
    WWW.MillerMarineProducts.com
    Proto Trak DPM CNC Bed Mill
    Brand X Industrial router
    Sharp SVL-2416SE-M VMC

Michael

This one actually fits my wife very well... I played with angles and leg lengths to see if I could make one that was absolutely ideal for me... I decided that all I need to do is scale the whole thing up a few notches! More to come!

SG

I purchased my shopbot from my aunt after my uncle died, and this was one of the first things I cut on it...I am very impressed with the design. Everybody that has seen these have fell in love with them and want to know if I will make them one. Whoever originally designed this chair done a wonderful job in my eyes...I did however add a lil design on the back.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Davin

Thanks for posting your photo... I'm still wondering how I'm going to decorate it when I make one "uniquely mine"!

SG

Like I said, I am new to this whole shopbotting...I have been a Contract Painter for around 15 years, so it's a bit of a change for me. I am exploring and playing around with different things. I haven't made any for anyone, only for myself while trying to get used to running the bot. I will definitely change it around to make it my own design.

Steve,
    a couple questions, does this thing fold up or no? What was the weight of it to have to carry?

Oh and also who is that sexy looking handsome model you had posing in the picture with your chair?

I like the chairs, but how well do the legs hold up, sitting on the corner edges that way? I think I'd modify the design a bit so that they sat lever with the ground.
    Ron Sloan

They actually slide apart then you turn the seat around and slide it down from the top of the back portion...as far as the feet, I agree that sitting on the corner is a bad design, but after looking a lil closer, that is the proper angle for storage...when put together, the feet work perfectly for it to be propped up against a wall...so if u changed the legs to sit level with ground while performing as a chair, then the angle would be off when it is put together for easy storage...