Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: cutting boards

Default cutting boards

I have been fooling with some different design cutting boards, that have become very easy to do now that I have a cnc router.

The first of course was one of the first things I cut, the circular board with tilted surface.

On the same lines, I did these up in Aspire, hope to cut this week. 16" square boards, one has the surface sloped from one side to the other. The other version has the slope from one corner to the opposite.

And finally, some friends of mine were in California, at a winery last year. The wine and cheese was served on these neat boards, where the board also acted as a holder for your wine glass, as well as a small cheese tray. So one can walk a round, eat, and not have to put your glass down.

I did this up last night on Aspire, and will cut it this week. The board is 12" by 9", 3/4" thick with the recessed portion 3/8" deep. There is a rounded recess for the glass 3" diameter which goes down to 1/4" and a 3/4" wide slot for the glass stem.

AJC
    Last edited by Ajcoholic; 03-12-2012 at 09:29 PM.

Andrew,
    I like the idea of the wine glass holder with the cheese tray but getting the tape measure out and trying to visualize that, especially compared to the size of a hand, my thought was that a tray 12"x8"X3/4" would be way too large and heavy.
    You say you cut one out, have you tried putting a wine glass in and cheese and crackers to see preportionally if that is a good size, weight for this?
    I had a woodworker friend who made something similar (just a round tray) about 6", i think he called them "Trivits"? I do recall that they were wood and either 1/4" or 3/8" thickness

My thought was that it would be better at maybe 6"or 7" and maybe about 3/8" thick? I do confess i don't drink, know nothing about wine glasses but do think this is a great idea and a real neat design
    Last edited by myxpykalix; 03-12-2012 at 02:45 AM.

the rim can be much thinner and the bottom thinner too and it will still hold up.

The size is based on their opinions, and a close up photo they took (with their hands in it for reference).

I have not yet cut one (said in my original post I hope to later this week) but it will be easy to change the size if it is indeed too heavy/big etc.

The nice thing about this type of thing is the drawing took me about 15 minutes to do, and it will be faster to change if need be. If I had to make this the traditional way, with jigs/patterns etc it would mean a totally new one every time.

On the above file, the outer rim is only 1/2" wide, and most of the board will be down to 3/8" thick - that will be very light weight. The overall size might be big, but, I will leave that for the customer to decide. They seem to think it will be like the one they saw on their trip.

Here is the original... I think it should be more like 10" by 7" (2" smaller each axis).

Last edited by Ajcoholic; 03-12-2012 at 09:30 PM.

I redid the file tonight for a 10" by 7" size, and also put three together so I could cut three at a time (one tool change from .5 ball nose to .5 end mill)

I am currently having a small renovation on my shop to add another room, which will house my new Buddy. Should be done later this week (or early next week by the time the lighting is put up, etc).

I am also waiting for some new end mills.

As soon as I get something cut, will be back to post pics!

AJC

Based on this picture that looks like a good size for the wine glass holder. I like your cutting boards. You might want to look at "Cutting Board Designer" at http://www.1024studios.com/ and incorporate some of those designs into your unique shapes.
    Btw...what price do you think something like that wine glass holder should be sold for?

Quote Originally Posted by myxpykalix View Post
    Based on this picture that looks like a good size for the wine glass holder. I like your cutting boards. You might want to look at "Cutting Board Designer" at http://www.1024studios.com/ and incorporate some of those designs into your unique shapes.
    Btw...what price do you think something like that wine glass holder should be sold for?
    Based upon cutting three at a time, in hard maple (which I will prepare from rough lumber) and sanding the outer edge after I trim the tabs, and probably put a 1/8" R on the top and bottom edges, and put a food safe oil on... about $15 to $20 per unit, based again upon quantity. For my friends who want 12 to 14 units, I would think I could do them for $15/pc. If someone wanted, say 4 - would be closer to $20.

My shop rate is $60/hr. I am also trying to charge out the cnc time at $60/hr.

Stuff like this I would run while I am working on other projects - so it really doesnt take a lot of time. Just to initiate the program, and swap tools, etc. I am already thinking of ways to fixture the workpieces, to swap out many blanks using one tool, then reposition the workpieces to use tool #2, etc. I am pretty good at working out the most efficient way to do things... thankfully based on my experience working in the shop.

I am always thinking of how to add smaller, but profitable items to my work. Although my main source of income is custom furniture, cabinets and millwork - anything made from wood, that can bring me $60/hr is fair game. Keeps my days very fun and interesting!

ALso, I have a summer helper starting at the end of April (university student home for the summer) and I am keen to have things he can work on, such as these types of things. WHen I dont have him sanding, etc.

AJC

Miller Marine Products, Ridgefield Washington

Those look great!! If you get creative with the shapes you can separate yourself from other stuff that is available if you are going to sell them for example a fish, rooster, football, maybe a golf theme Etc. A catchers mit with baseball and a couple crossed bats might be cool.
    WWW.MillerMarineProducts.com
    Proto Trak DPM CNC Bed Mill
    Brand X Industrial router
    Sharp SVL-2416SE-M VMC

Smile

Andrew,

Last summer at AWFS, one of the CNC companies gave away free samples of a wine / cheese holder that they were cutting on site. It had a thumb hole in it to help hold it. My kids have them now and if you would like, I get one of my kids to take a picture of it.

I like your your circular cutting board with the tilt. What is the thickness of the cutting board? Kern

Quote Originally Posted by kern View Post
    Andrew,

Last summer at AWFS, one of the CNC companies gave away free samples of a wine / cheese holder that they were cutting on site. It had a thumb hole in it to help hold it. My kids have them now and if you would like, I get one of my kids to take a picture of it.

I like your your circular cutting board with the tilt. What is the thickness of the cutting board? Kern
    Sure I'd love to see a photo. Always interested in other's ideas!

I generally make these from whatever I can clear from 8/4 stock, which is generally 1 3/4". Makes a nice, heavy board.

WHen I do larger boards without a carve I generally use 6/4 stock and end up with 1 1/4" thickness.

AJC