Thread: Epoxy Resin

Default Epoxy Resin

Hi guys. I've been making a lot of table tops lately using a dished 3d model and then filling the relief with 2 part epoxy resin so the top is smooth and flush. Man that epoxy stuff is expensive. Does anyone have a source that may be more economical than the $80 a gallon that I'm paying now or even a new product to achieve the same effect? I have done the Google thing, but thought I'd ask here also. Any push in the right direction would be fantastic. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by kurt_rose View Post
    Hi guys. I've been making a lot of table tops lately using a dished 3d model and then filling the relief with 2 part epoxy resin so the top is smooth and flush. Man that epoxy stuff is expensive. Does anyone have a source that may be more economical than the $80 a gallon that I'm paying now or even a new product to achieve the same effect? I have done the Google thing, but thought I'd ask here also. Any push in the right direction would be fantastic. Thanks.
    We've had good luck at about 2/3 that price with
    http://www.epoxyusa.com/category_s/3.htm

Quote Originally Posted by bob_reda View Post
    Yep...Have used that stuff for years. The 2:1 kit is a great value. Do yourself a favor & get the pumps.

If you want something that can be used outdoors, Greenlight sells some really fantastic stuff that is made to hold up in the sun.

-B
    High Definition 3D Laser Scanning Services - Advanced ShopBot CNC Training and Consultation - Vectric Custom Video Training IBILD.com

Thanks Guys! That's why this is the bestest sight out there . What a huge savings to help the bottom line.

Kurt,

Have you considered using the old tried and true Weldwood Plastic Resin Glue? It's available from most lumber yards and hardware stores. Five dollars of it will go a long, long way.I've been using it for years and never had a failure. It's cheap and tough.

This is a powder to mix with water. I recommend mixing a consistency of heavy cream. For our panels we us it thick as peanut butter.

I'd suggest buying a couple of dollars worth, mix it up, and glue up a couple of boards. Throw them in a bucket of water and let stand for a week. I think you'll be pleased.
    com
    Joe Crumley
    www.normansignco.

Quote Originally Posted by joe View Post
    Kurt,

Have you considered using the old tried and true Weldwood Plastic Resin Glue? It's available from most lumber yards and hardware stores. Five dollars of it will go a long, long way.I've been using it for years and never had a failure. It's cheap and tough.

This is a powder to mix with water. I recommend mixing a consistency of heavy cream. For our panels we us it thick as peanut butter.

I'd suggest buying a couple of dollars worth, mix it up, and glue up a couple of boards. Throw them in a bucket of water and let stand for a week. I think you'll be pleased.
    com
    Joe Crumley
    www.normansignco.
    I think he is using the epoxy to make the carved surface flush, not glue up the panel.

The cheapest way to buy epoxy is in larger quantity. I have purchased 5 gallon kit sizes (when working on a few cedar canoes or boat repair). Try sourcing from a marine supply company - I have found it cheapest, at least here in Canada, from places that cater to boat building & repair.

AJC

Default picture

i have a gal and a half sitting on my shelf and have yet to use it. but the ideas are the same as yours, (a bowl shaped cutting) so i am definitely interested in seeing any pictures that you care to post.

I'll try to post some over the weekend.

Default Raka Epoxy

I have used RAKA epoxy out of Florida to make wooden boats
    http://www.raka.com/epoxy.html

There are reviews out there which gives it high marks and is around 80/ 1.5 gallons