Thread: fast and easy business card holder

Default fast and easy business card holder

Last Friday, as I was getting ready to go down and do the final setup/cleaning of my furniture for the home & trade show I attended, I realized I had nothing to hold my business cards.

In about 5 minutes, I created the Aspire file, and drove the 10 minutes to my shop. WHile I warmed up the spindle, I grabbed a rough piece of 6/4 walnut and jointed/planed it.

I cut 4 of the pieces in about 20 minutes (using a 1/4" cutter as to get a nice tight inside radius - so I just did the passes in steps of 1/4" deep).

Band sawed the tabs, and a light touch up on the edge sander.. one fast coat of danish oil and in less than 1 hour total I was on my way to the show.

I still get a little "amazed" at how something like this - that before would have taken twice as long just to make the templates, and then cut them out, sand, etc can be taken from an idea - to the computer - to the finished product in such a short time. Awesome!

I forgot to take a photo of the real thing (will do tomorrow) but here are the models.

AJC

Smile

I make those, and postit note holders in 3 sizes...

I forgot to say as well, I had my 81 yr old father (who is a master woodworker) visiting, and took him down to my shop to see the Shopbot for the 1st time since I got it.

Even though the job was very simple, and nothing extravagant - he was impressed - especially with the smoothness of the finished product, and accuracy. And, he was there when I drew up the file in Aspire so he could see how quick one can go from an idea to a real product in hand.

AJC