Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Knock down kids chair prototype #1

Default Knock down kids chair prototype #1

I made this chair for my son, who is nearly 1. I want to make a similar chair sized in three varying sizes for infants, toddlers and little kids.

12mm Baltic Birch. No hardware, the back and seat press through the sides, and then with a light tap slide back and down (seat and back respectively).

Very secure, sturdy and should be relatively cheap.

I am trying to design and line of kids tables, chairs, etc for a local store.

Thanks for showing us that. Very nice project!

Thanks!

Here is my son, Joseph, enjoying his new seat.

I actually hand cut the first prototype, just from scrap 1/2" ply on the band saw. Sat Joe in the chair, and then changed some measurements to better suit him. Then drew it up in Aspire. Pretty quick to do... God I love having this new CNC capability in my woodworking shop!

AJC

And me and Joseph

Last edited by Ajcoholic; 03-19-2012 at 09:22 PM.

Nice chair AJ.looks like a project that will get lots of use.
    And a fine looking young man and future shopbotter i'm
    sure. Enjoy every moment with him they grow up fast.

Best Buster

AJ - Looks great! I can see a rocker variant with a few clicks of the mouse...

-B
    High Definition 3D Laser Scanning Services - Advanced ShopBot CNC Training and Consultation - Vectric Custom Video Training IBILD.com

Quote Originally Posted by bradywatson View Post
    AJ - Looks great! I can see a rocker variant with a few clicks of the mouse...

-B
    I took a couple of the chairs today, to the local childrens store (private, higher end kids stuff). The owner was pretty cool with the chair, and the first thing she asked was can I do a rocker

I will be making a little larger chair, and a rocker to match. I dont think making a rocker for a 1 yr old is too good of an idea.. more for a 2 to 3 yr old.

AJC

Not in any way wanting to rain on a parade (very cool design) but look out when vending kids furniture. Liability is heck. Kids rockers in particular have spawned tons of lawsuits.

Quote Originally Posted by bleeth View Post
    Not in any way wanting to rain on a parade (very cool design) but look out when vending kids furniture. Liability is heck. Kids rockers in particular have spawned tons of lawsuits.
    According to my business liability insurance, I should be OK with childrens furniture... but will check my policy & talk to my insurance agent. I carry a pretty higher end policy, due to the variety of work I do in residential and some commercial furniture, cabinets and millwork. But I know certain things, like cribs, are not covered under my present policy.

AJC

PS today I spoke to my insurance broker (who owns the company I have dealt with for my business insurance for over 20 yrs) who assured me, unless I start making high chairs, cribs or similar - I am OK. Children size tables, regular height chairs and rocking chairs are no prob. I dont plan to do these on more than an informal basis - but there does seem to be a demand here for better made stuff other than the MDF made in China stuff that's flooded the marketplace.
    Last edited by Ajcoholic; 03-22-2012 at 06:05 PM. Reason: addition

Last evening I did up the files for a second chair - for toddlers. The seat is one inch deeper than the infant chair, and the legs one inch taller (so the seat is 1" taller). Also did up a rocker based on the toddler size chair, for 2 to 3 yr olds.

Also some samples of lacquer over red, green, yellow, blue and orange NGR stain.

Now I need a table!

AJC

Miller Marine Products, Ridgefield Washington

Those are cool can I ask how the seat is locked in place so it does not slide forward? It looks like if you built another tenon like the others you used for the back to slide into the seat it would lock in place and be held together by gravity. Maybe it is built that way and I just can't tell.

I like making stuff like this by using tenon type joinery and not using fasteners.

Mike
    WWW.MillerMarineProducts.com
    Proto Trak DPM CNC Bed Mill
    Brand X Industrial router
    Sharp SVL-2416SE-M VMC