Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: "Wanted-Custom Made Adirondack Chairs" He says.

Thumbs down "Wanted-Custom Made Adirondack Chairs" He says.

I've been in an email and phone discussion with a gentleman and his wife about some custom Adirondack chairs. I had answered an add on Craigslist.org. They wanted 8 in total and also wanted them made from exterior grade PVC. I very cordially explained that the material wasn't suited for the application and offered to find a suitable alternative that would actually work well for the project. Before I had the chance to even research materials, I get a call back and it's his wife. She was very sharp with me and says. "We've found someone who know's what they're doing and is going to make what WE want. You don't NEED to use thicker stuff OR something different." *Click*

I say you and your husband enjoy those chairs for about a week if that.
    I had suggested that using stock 3/4" PVC/EPVC trim board just wasn't going to hold up whatsoever. This was the first time i've personally run into a customer that was this rude. I hope they get exactly what they want. Any opinions?

Regards
    Randy

Are really you surprised at the outcome? Unqualified leads or solicitations from CL are nothing but trouble. Focus on business to business sales. There is plenty of work to be had, regardless of the nonsense you hear coming out of the radio & tv. The thing is, you gotta let these companies know you're around and CL isn't the proper vehicle for doing this.

Personally, I refuse to deal with 'residential' customers. If you are not a business, then chances are your expectations will be really high & your budget really low. There are few exceptions. Ask yourself WHO your customer IS or who you WANT your customer to be...Aim high and you might be suprised who comes knocking at your door.

Oh...and be thankful that they called back and are not your customer. If they act this way now, how are they going to act later? One perspective is that this was a nice reminder to get yourself back on track to get the right customer for your business...

-B
    High Definition 3D Laser Scanning Services - Advanced ShopBot CNC Training and Consultation - Vectric Custom Video Training IBILD.com

Randy,

I has been my experience that in the long run everyone gets EXACTLY what they deserve. Some folks just take longer than others to get what's coming.

Stick to your values. I don't make junk. I do not compete with overseas junk and I do not plan on making domestic junk.

Let that sales lead be someone else's headache. Enjoy a nice afternoon fishing or enjoy a cold beer under a shady tree instead of making the **** they are requesting.

Fishing and relaxing feel much better than compromising your values every single time.

Don't worry. They will learn... the hard way.

Peace be with you!
    Last edited by planman; 03-21-2012 at 11:53 AM.

Many years ago when I was just starting out as an adult I commented to a much older (maybe even over 40!) fellow worker how much I disliked working/dealing with stupid people that thought they were smart.

He responded that I should actually like them because they made my life easier... I said he was nuts. That's when he said, "imagine how much harder it would be for you and I to make it if everyone was as smart as us."

Cabinets Plus of Augusta, Hephzibah Ga 30815

There is a man , Ed Connley in canton Ga, (n Atlanta ) That makes them. AHA Woodworks . check out his site .. They have a great warrantee . also he is a fellow shopbotter. You mention that the customer was rude , take it as a blessing. I just had to pull a set of cabinets (8400.00) back out because there was no pleasing them PERIOD. I offered them everything possible and there was no winning no matter what i did. Lesson learned a better contract and they must sign off on the color they pick!

Thanks to everyone.

I know CL isn't a good place to "shop" for customers. I gave it a shot and can usually sort out those that can't be pleased. Most of them take one look at my long graying beard and tattoos and turn their nose up. I do have a few commercial customers that stuck with me even though my shop had been down for so long. I do have another customer that brings me quite a lot of work but i let him handle it. I just do the carving/milling. He's a bit of a hack but does at least have real expectations of costs. My post was more venting at the rudeness. If you're stupid, fine. If you want to have someone else mess it up, fine. Just don't think i'm not gonna sit and laugh over a few shots of Whiskey tonight at the fire pit or a few beers at the first 3D archery shoot of the season this weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by gene View Post
    There is a man , Ed Connley in canton Ga, (n Atlanta ) That makes them. AHA Woodworks . check out his site .. They have a great warrantee . also he is a fellow shopbotter. You mention that the customer was rude , take it as a blessing. I just had to pull a set of cabinets (8400.00) back out because there was no pleasing them PERIOD. I offered them everything possible and there was no winning no matter what i did. Lesson learned a better contract and they must sign off on the color they pick!
    Gene,

I've been to his sight before and i know he doesn't use the type of EPVC i get up here. I know for a fact this material wont hold up and i've been asked to make them before and refused. As far as Adirondack chains and associated furniture. I've made hundreds up this way. From everything from composite decking to luan. Even oak which were meant for an enclosed sun porch that would never see rain.

Regards'
    Randy

You can't be everything to everybody! I feel very blessed to not have to deal with these types of people. I tend to deal with a bunch of great customers and have had very few issues. I try to do a great job and delivery good value. When I was younger and hungry I thought price was important and always tried to do it as cheap as possible, I learned over time that brought me the clients that wanted it cheap,or for nothing if they could beat me out of a nickel, As I grew I started pricing it based on what it cost to provide a better product and great service, The pita guys went somewhere else and the people who wanted what I provide stayed true, some for many years now. I now get to do things on my terms for great people and enjoy my business for the most part. I am not the cheapest guy because those pita people need somewhere to go that isn't with me. I don't mind going out of my way for my clients and I don't want to take advantage of anybody just take care of my family, When someone is like that to me I just take it in stride and am thankful I don't have to take that job. WHEW!! I got a little long winded but thats how I feel!!!

I deal with the public a lot, I pick and choose custom work very carefully and still a lot of times lose my shirt.

Working with other professional shops is great and way more profitable for me.

Well if I were you I would have given them a price and made it exactly the way they wanted, gone down and cashed their check and given them a 30 minute warranty

The best thing to do with people like that is let them go elsewhere. I on the otherhand have had decent transactions of CL. You can learn to weed out the douchebags who want something for nothing.