Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Revised dust collection foot

Default Revised dust collection foot

I have realized quickly, that the stock shoe on the Buddy is not ideal for many applications. If I was cutting a lot of thin flat stock, it works fine. For the thicker (1.75") boards and seats, etc I have been working on, the shoe gets hung up on the clamps, the vinyl fingers go from 1/2" above the work to smushed down and almost torn off.

This morning I remembered a thread where a fellow here made a new mount to keep the shoe at a fixed height, and it seemed like a good idea.

Here is my take on it. A piece of aluminum angle I milled a slot into, held to the spindle mount with some 1/4" by 20 screws (the holes were already drilled and tapped).

A piece of 3/4" by 3/4" aluminum bolted to that, and the stock shoe I slightly modified (cut off the bent tab, to better clear the spindle as it comes down to the bottom of the stroke).

All in all, took about 1 hour to make, seems to work great.

AJC

I thought the standard fixing worked at a fixed height as well?

Or maybe the buddy is different from a "normal" PRS...

Quote Originally Posted by adrianm View Post
    I thought the standard fixing worked at a fixed height as well?

Or maybe the buddy is different from a "normal" PRS...
    Not on a PRS. The PRT used to be able to be set at a fixed height. The stock dust foot is really well suited for sheet stock. 3D or deep carving is a no-no.

-B
    High Definition 3D Laser Scanning Services - Advanced ShopBot CNC Training and Consultation - Vectric Custom Video Training IBILD.com

Something like this would be amazing for filming on my ShopBot Desktop. Right now it's like a magic box covering all the fun stuff and it's up to the imagination to figure-out what's going on - would really help with multi-camera work too! I'll have to look into making something like this for it in a few months after I settle-down.

Jon
    --------------
    Founder of CNCKing.com (Project files for your ShopBot Table Router) and CNCROi.com (Custom CNC Shop)

Default Mod More

I just finished replacing the set screw for the dust foot with an air cylinder. I was thinking the next mod would be just as you are showing here. Since the shaft that supports the foot moves freely when the air cylinder is disengaged I will probably leave it in place so I can have the best of both when I need it. I like the slotted adjustment as well, when not in use can just be raised up above the spindle head. Nice work.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Architect, Designer, Shopbotter

On mine I use eye bolts so I don't need tools to move it. Have thumb screws but find the eyes work better.

Quote Originally Posted by jerry_stanek View Post
    On mine I use eye bolts so I don't need tools to move it. Have thumb screws but find the eyes work better.
    Did you make it fixed as well? I think it works far better. It is also easier to change bits as well, bring the tool up and you have easy access to the spindle/collet nut.

AJC

Yes mine is fixed I posted pictures of it before on here.

Quote Originally Posted by jerry_stanek View Post
    Yes mine is fixed I posted pictures of it before on here.
    You are probably the guy then that gave me the idea! Thanks!

AJC

I am finding the rear mounted dust hose is causing me grief when I am using some of the clamp hold downs.

I took a second look at the Kent cnc foot (and how the brush section comes off with magnets) and went ahead and ordered a foot and two lengths of brush.

I think the straight up hose, mounted in front, will be more "out of the way".

WIll report back when it arrives. For $200 (with both brushes), I feel it was worth a try..

AJC