Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Revised dust collection foot

Quote Originally Posted by gerryv View Post
    Andrew,
    If you get a chance sometime could you comment on the roller guides mounted on each side of the X table. Maybe on a new thread as I don't want to pull this one off track.
    Thanks,
    Gerry
    No problem Gerry, I discussed them in the "buddy" section of the forum, when I was talking about the table. Basically they are there to hold the MDF table down tight to the rollers that support it. The MDF has a tendency to curl up slightly, and these rollers seem to do the trick, ie, hold it down tight so when the section being cut (under the gantry) stays accurate. They are just some casters, bolted to an aluminum angle which is bolted to the frame (and can be adjusted up or down). The rollers ride on a strip of 1/4" aluminum screwed down to the MDF.

AJC

Today I was doing some 3D carving for nearly 5 hours.

I bet there was less than a palm-full of dust on my 48" by 48" work surface.

The new Kent CNC shoe works AMAZINGY well! I remember Dana recommending I get one soon after I posted of my new Buddy purchase. I wish I would have gotten it sooner... but better late than never.

AJC

Looks great AJ

I really need to switch mine over to fixed.

Quote Originally Posted by mcmark View Post
    Looks great AJ

I really need to switch mine over to fixed.
    The Kent shoe attaches to the spindle, and goes up and down with the spindle.

However there is nothing hanging down now, that can get in the way of anything. I like to use 4 Inca aluminum clamps to hold down my work (when doing larger pieces of wood) and there is nothing to get hung up on the clamps or bolts. I had to be very particular with the stock shoe, where my clamps were placed and I tore off the rear mounted hose more than once when it touched one of the clamp bolts.

The bristles (like what is on a push broom) are also much better at conforming to the work - on shaped parts - than the stiff vinyl material on the stock shopbot shoe.

AJC

Andrew we are about to plumb up our Kent shoe and noticed you have the hose attached to the non moving carriage. Are you happy with this load wise on the z axis? We were thinking of attaching it to the spindle slide.

Thanks

Bob & Chrissy

Quote Originally Posted by Ajcoholic View Post
    No problem Gerry, I discussed them in the "buddy" section of the forum, when I was talking about the table. Basically they are there to hold the MDF table down tight to the rollers that support it. The MDF has a tendency to curl up slightly, and these rollers seem to do the trick, ie, hold it down tight so when the section being cut (under the gantry) stays accurate. They are just some casters, bolted to an aluminum angle which is bolted to the frame (and can be adjusted up or down). The rollers ride on a strip of 1/4" aluminum screwed down to the MDF.

AJC
    Is it possible to post a couple of pics please Andrew as we are a bit sloooooow down under!

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Eustace View Post
    We were thinking of attaching it to the spindle slide.
    I've attached mine to the spindle side. Pictures attached if it helps any. I used 3M double side automotive trim tape to fix the ply block to the spindle. It's been there nearly two years and hasn't budged.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by adrianm View Post
    I've attached mine to the spindle side. Pictures attached if it helps any. I used 3M double side automotive trim tape to fix the ply block to the spindle. It's been there nearly two years and hasn't budged.
    Thanks Adrian. It's shocking being a Virgo as you worry about having nothing to worry about!

Andrew we are about to plumb up our Kent shoe and noticed you have the hose attached to the non moving carriage. Are you happy with this load wise on the z axis? We were thinking of attaching it to the spindle slide.

Thanks

Bob & Chrissy
    Bob,
    There is no load on the Z carriage. The hose I am using is a heavy polyurethane with a stiff wire inside. The aluminum arm I made to hold the hose is indeed attached to the Y carriage. WHen the Z goes up and down, the hose acts like an accordian and simply expands or contracts.

I really dont think it will matter where ever the hose support is mounted (assuming a standard flexible dust collection hose), unless of course your hose is extremely stiff - then I would suggest mounting to the spindle or Z carriage.

I do have some hose in my shop that is a very stiff black vinyl and almost as strong as the steel ducting. But I use that only to hook up non-moving machines in my shop.

AJC

Is it possible to post a couple of pics please Andrew as we are a bit sloooooow down under!

Bob
    Sure...