Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Revised dust collection foot

Well, I'm loving the Kentcnc dust collection shoe.

WHen I bought it, I got both the 2" and 3" brushes. However, with some of my extended length bits, even with the 3" brush I am from 1/2" to 1" off of the surface of the board.

SO, I have two of the spacers coming (they go in between the shoe base, and the brush to effectively lower the brush).

Something to keep in mind if you are looking at the system. I should have gotten them with my initial order... hopefully they wont take as long to get here. I have a lot of cnc work to do next week!

AJC

Maybe a non-issue, but as I look at pics of that shoe, all I see is a big physical/visual obstacle to tool changes. What is your experience in that regard?

jeff

Quote Originally Posted by jTr View Post
    Maybe a non-issue, but as I look at pics of that shoe, all I see is a big physical/visual obstacle to tool changes. What is your experience in that regard?

jeff
    It's held together by magnets. The whole bottom section just pulls off and then there is nothing at all in the way of changing the tool. The bottom section just clips straight back onto the magnets no fuss at all.

It's much, much easier and quicker to change a tool than it is with the standard foot.

Quote Originally Posted by jTr View Post

jeff
    As stated, the brush part snaps off without tools (yet is held very firmly by three countersunk 1/4" rod type rare earth magnets).

The spindle's collet and nut are VERY accessible. Easy as pie!

On that note, time to get something to eat

AJC

Received my Kent dust foot today, purchased on AJC recommendation.
    Really keeps the dust down and is much easier to setup. Plus kept getting to close to my clamps on some projects, this has enough height to clear them.

I have heard that rare earth magnets wear out over time, if they are kept together. Don't know if it is true or not but it might be a good idea to keep the shoes separated when not in use.

I think I will try an modify the mount for the original dust foot to make a pressure foot for cutting thin parts - has anyone tried to make one of these?

Mike Kelly
    Moose Jaw, Sk

Cool. I am just waiting for my spacers now. I should have ordered them with the foot. WHen I use my extended length 1/2 and 5/8" spirals, the initial cuts still leave the 3" bristles a little above the work surface. I ordered two 1/2" spacers to lower the brush down.

So far, I am trilled with the new Kent shoe. It does work so well, easy to change bits and like you said it can ride right over my aluminum clamps without getting caught up.

AJC

I have heard that rare earth magnets wear out over time, if they are kept together

Old horseshoe magnets had to be kept with a "keeper" or non-magnetized bar across the poles to assure continued magnetism, not so with rare earth magnets...

http://www.kjmagnetics.com/FAQ.asp

23. Do neodymium magnets require a keeper?
    No, neodymium magnets do not require a keeper for storage like Alnico magnets.

24. Will my neodymium magnets lose strength over time?
    Very little. Neodymium magnets are the strongest and most permanent magnets known to man. If they are not overheated or physically damaged, neodymium magnets will lose less than 1% of their strength over 10 years - not enough for you to notice unless you have very sensitive measuring equipment. They won't even lose their strength if they are held in repelling or attracting positions with other magnets over long periods of time.

25. Will neodymium magnets lose strength if they are held in repelling or attracting positions for a long time?
    In most applications, the answer is simply "no". If the magnets will be exposed to higher temperatures while in repelling applications, the answer is "possibly". The exact answer is a bit too complicated for a FAQ answer, and requires specifics about the application.